First Day of Classes
- Our first day of classes is Thursday, Sept. 1, 2022
- The school office is open on Aug. 29, 2022 from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
School Start & End Times
Grades 1 to 9
Monday to Thursday
- 7:55 Doors open
- 8:10 AM Classes begin
- 2:50 PM Dismissal
- 7:55 Doors open
- 8:10 AM Classes begin
- 12:25 PM Dismissal
Monday to Thursday
- 8:10 am - 11:00 AM class
- 12:00 pm - 2:50 PM class
Friday - Students attend alternating Fridays.
- AM Attends Sept. 16, Oct. 21, Nov. 18, Dec. 9, Jan 13, 27, Feb. 24, Mar. 17, Apr. 14, 28, May 19, Jun. 2, 23
- PM Attends Sept 9, Oct. 14, Nov. 4, Dec. 2, 16 Jan. 20, Feb 10, Mar.3, 24 Apr. 21, May 12, 26, Jun.16
- There are no classes for kindergarten students on Friday Sept. 2, 2022.
- Families are asked to provide indoor shoes, backpacks, lunch and snacks.
- We ask students to bring a water bottle. If students arrive with juice, pop, Slurpees, coffee, or other drinks, we ask they finish before they enter the school.
- Students are out on the land every day so require clothing and footwear to suit the weather.
School Supply Fees
- School supply fees will be charged to MyCBE account. Parents of students in Kindergarten to Grade 6 do not need to purchase any supplies. The fee pays for those materials. If students wish to bring their own markers or pencil crayons for personal use, they are welcome to do so.
- Kindergarten $20
- Grades 1-6 $40
Grade 7-9 School Supply Lists
- Students in Grades 7-9 are asked to purchase these items for school supplies. The school will not be supplying these materials.
- 1 Binder to manage the 4 core subjects
- 8 Notebooks- lined, 4 to start the year
- Lined paper
- Graph paper
- Pencil Sharpener
- Pencil Crayons
- 4 Highlighters
- Geometry kit
- Pencil Case
- Whiteboard marker
- Glue Sticks- minimum 2
- Sharpie (fine tipped black for sketchbooks) 8 to use over the year
- Scientific Calculator (No graphing or cell phones please)
- Please note that individual teachers may want some small additional supplies that will be communicated within the first week. All students receive a sketchbook/Journal.
- We welcome donations of used tennis balls for the student chairs. This will support us in reducing wear and tear to our floors. We have a box in the office for donations.
View our School Calendar for upcoming events and dates. See the CBE website for system calendars.
Lunch Supervision - 11:35 AM- 12:20 PM
- Students in Grades 1 to 6 are supervised during lunch hour. The lunch hour for all students in Grades 1-6 is 11:35 AM - 12:20 PM.
- Grades 7, 8 and 9 students can leave the school grounds during lunch. However, there is a supervised area for these students in school during lunch in the school for the first 20 minutes of the break.
- Grade 7 – 9 students will receive explicit teaching about the Student Code of Conduct and expectations for going out in the community. We pride ourselves on maintaining good relationships with our community members. A teacher walks through the community daily to support students as needed.
Classroom assignments are provided to families on August 31, 2022 through a welcome letter sent through School Messenger.
- Kindergarten begins September 1, 2022. The first day of school are regular hours.
- There is no staggered entry for students this year.
- Assignments for AM and PM were set in May and shared with parents.
- There are no kindergarten classes on Friday, September 2, 2022.
Volunteering and Field Studies
- If you do not have your police clearance please bring in your Driver’s Licence or government ID so we can initiate the Police Clearance.
- A reminder that as part of the commitment to the Alternate Science Program, parents must be available for 3 field studies/year for each child attending Riverside School.
- Field studies fees are added to your MyCBE account. Expenses are divided by the number of students in the class. Cash and cheques are not accepted and no refunds are given if the child is not present on the day of the field study.
- Parents who are volunteering on field studies will meet the class outside the building at a spot designated by the teacher.. When volunteering, we ask that parents park at Riverside Bungalow. The south parking lot is used for gym classes and for basketball at lunch.
- We have a Volunteer Coordinator Parent for about half of the classes. Teachers will reach out to those classes still in need of a Coordinator.
- The dress code is detailed on our website here.
- Students need to dress for outdoor weather as they are out on the land every day. .
- Grade 7-9 students are asked to change for indoor gym. We will be selling gym clothing this year.
- Hats may be worn in school.
We have an "Away for the Day" device policy for all students. Students may not use phones during instructional time unless the activity is approved by the teacher. Students must comply with the CBE Code of Conduct and AR 1062 Responsible Use of Electronic Information Resources.
Lockers and Locks
- Lockers and locks for backpacks and outdoor wear will be sorted out in mid-September. Students will not share lockers. We have locks for all students.
- Students in Grade 7-9 are asked to purchase Riverside gym clothing in September. Students will be assigned gym lockers.
First Day Procedures – Thursday, September 1, 2022
- Welcome to our families!
- Teachers will be sending a welcome notice to families at noon on Wednesday August 31 so students know who their teacher is.
- All students are asked to arrive between 7:55 AM-8:05 AM on September 1, 2022.
- The Grade 1 and kindergarten teacher will collect students on the north compound by the bike cage (at the base of the bridge). Teachers will bring their students in across the bridge. We ask that parents give their children a hug on the compound to say goodbye.
- The Grades 2-6 teachers will be on the field with a sign. Students are asked to gather with their teacher. Teachers will bring their students in across the bridge. We ask that parents give their children a hug on the field to say goodbye.
- Grade 7, 8 and 9 students are asked to enter the school directly when they arrive and find their classroom.
- New students in Junior High are asked to use the front door and will be directed from the main office.
- Extra staff will be available to assist families.
- Our School Council and Parent Association will be hosting a Welcome Tea outside at the north compound in the morning!
- Hand Sanitizer continues to be available in the entrances and hallways.
- Teachers in Kindergarten and Grades 1,2, and 3 will walk their students to the compound to meet caregivers daily.
- We ask parents to wait outside the compound area at the end of the day.
- Please note the parking lots are for staff. We ask that parents do not pick up or drop off in the parking lots.
- Parents may use the gravel parking area by Riverside Bungalow.
Starting September 2, 2022
- Students can use the bridge or school doors to enter the school, whichever is safer from the direction they arrive.
- Doors open at 7:55 AM. Students are expected to be in class by 8:10 AM.
- Doors are locked at 8:10 AM and throughout the day. If students are late, they need to check in at the office to get a late slip so attendance can be updated.
- If a student will be absent, we ask that a parent email Riverside@cbe.ab.ca to let us know.
- Bus zones are located at the side and front of the school. Please do not park or drop off students in bus zones along 6A Street in front of the school or in the parking lots.
- Please cross at the designated crosswalks.
- The Bike Cage is being upgraded and may not be ready for the first week of September. If it is not functional, we will store bikes in the bridge bunker for safe keeping. The bunker or bike cage will be locked from 8:05 AM-2:50 PM.
- The lunch break for all students in Grades 1-9, Monday to Thursday is from 11:35 AM-12:20 PM.
Riverside School is an Alternative Program and admission is by lottery. Please visit our How to Register page for all registration details. Please note that the registration process is completed online, but schools can assist with any questions.
We are not accepting any new students for the upcoming year as all spots are filled. Parents can apply through the lottery process in February. The community school for Bridgeland is Stanley Jones School.
Our school office is open from 8:00 AM- 3:30 PM. If you are unable to get through during a high traffic time, please email our office staff Riverside@cbe.ab.ca.
Follow Us on Social Media
Follow school and classroom accounts for highlights of students learning and school news and announcements: