Participation in the arts enhances creativity, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. Teaching through an inquiry model, requires students to think of many ways of representing their understanding.
At Riverside, we have a strong commitment to engaging children outdoors and to giving them an appreciation for nature. We use field journals when we are outdoors to help students think like scientists.
Our field journal is used as a scientific tool to document day to day discoveries, to record observations and questions, to identify items in nature and to learn more about the world around us. We take our field journals back to our classroom in order to further investigate findings and to draw conclusions from the observations and discoveries. Our website showcases students working in their field journals. They are a learning tool and a source of pride and accomplishment.
Fine and Performing Arts at Riverside
- Visual Arts: Art, Drawing, Painting, Sculpting, Sketching in our Field Journals
- Dance: Dance and Dance Composition (within the physical education program)
- Drama: Drama, Film Studies, Theatre (integrated in programming and offered this term as a Grade 9 CTF choice)
- Music: Instrumental Music and Band (CTF- Grades 7-9)
- General Music: General Music (Kindergarten and Grades 1-6)