Attendance Line: 403-817-3400 ext. 1
Research shows that regular school attendance has an important impact on a student’s success in school starting in kindergarten and continuing through high school. Even as children grow older and more independent, families play a key role in making sure students get to school safely every day. When students miss too much school it can cause them to fall behind academically and socially. In addition, Calgary Board of Education and Alberta Education require schools to accurately record and report student absences.
We realize some absences are unavoidable due to health problems or other circumstances. Please take note that the following absences will be excused:
- If your child is sick or has a medical or dental appointment. Sometimes your child’s school may request a medical note to support these absences.
- If you have a family emergency or a funeral.
- If you have a religious or cultural observance.
- If there is a court appearance directly related to your child.
- If CBE advises of extreme weather; if there are transportation cancellations due to weather. (Please ensure your child is appropriately dressed for the weather. If you require assistance with obtaining winter clothing please contact the school.)
- If your child is suspended, expelled, or on a home supported leave from school.
- If your child is on a school activity taking them out of regularly scheduled classes.
We recognize non-school enrichment activities and travel may present unique learning opportunities for your child during their regularly scheduled class times. It is important to remember that these absences can create gaps in student learning. It will be your responsibility as an independent student/ parent/guardian to support your child’s learning if you choose to allow your child to miss school days for these activities. Please take note that the following absences will be unexcused:
- If you take a vacation or family holiday during school days. CBE provides many opportunities for families to holiday during winter, spring and summer breaks. We encourage you to book holidays during these breaks.
- If your child needs to start late or leave early from school, due to non-school related extracurricular activities (athletic activities, enrichment programs, music programs, theatre performances, etc.)
It is helpful for us when we have been notified in advance of your child’s absence. Please call our office to inform us of days when your child will be away and, and for extended unexcused absences, please have your child(ren) complete the Extended Absence form available in the Main Office.