Digital citizenship is part of CBE Administrative Regulation R1062 – Responsible Use of Electronic Information Resources, and supports The Alberta Education Act Section 31 (C): “A student, as a partner, in education, has the responsibility to ensure the student’s conduct contributes to a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.”
All Robert Thirsk students are required to complete the Acceptable Use Policy for Networked Information Resources (AUP) annually.
The following items promote and support responsible digital citizenship:
- No gaming during instructional time.
- Students must not download and/or install programs or applications on school computers.
- Students are not to tamper with either hardware or computer settings. The school will seek monetary compensation to replace damaged technology through a designated CBE vendor.
- Students must ensure they keep their passwords secure. No student is to allow another student access to their account, or use another student’s account.
- Any attempt to engage in hacking, cracking, password stealing, accessing secure network areas or other actions which compromise RTHS or CBE network will result in consequences.
- Students are not to visit websites that are of an inappropriate nature.
- Students are not to post personal information, pictures, videos or commentary about themselves or other CBE students and staff on social media or other third party apps.
- Students are not to record video, audio, or take pictures of CBE students, staff, and volunteers without permission.
Note | As technology evolves, so too will digital citizenship expectations.
RTHS has a variety of technology for students to access. Students are welcome to use their own devices, though the school is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged personal property. Students can access CBE WiFi with their CBE number and password. Please ensure you read the WiFi Terms and Conditions: https://www.cbe.ab.ca/privacy-statement/Pages/wifi-terms-and-conditions.aspx.