Roland Michener School is located in the northeast community of Marlborough Park.
To build a positive, mutual, respectful, caring environment where all members of our community feel empowered to take risks to reach their full potential attaining the highest achievement in all aspects of life.
To create a safe, supportive and stimulating learning environment that promotes quality teaching and optimum student learning. As a school, we work towards the development of Capable, self-reliant, and responsible citizens for a global community.
“Learning and Growing Together”
About the Learner
- Every child can learn and brings a diversity of experience and potential to school.
- Learning is a collaborative social endeavour involving child, parent and school.
- The family is the primary influence on a child's development and learning.
- Each learner is a unique blend of intelligences, learning styles and needs.
- Learners must take responsibility for their own learning.
- Reflection and self-assessment can enhance and personalize learning.
- True learners seek their own answers and see learning as a life long personal journey.
About Effective Learning Environments
- Positive and respectful relationships between teachers, students and parents are at the heart of learning.
- Quality learning requires involvement in purposeful and meaningful work.
- Well developed literacy skills are the key to successful learning.
- Making learning relevant involves making connections to real life, valuing student questions and teaching students to make choices in learning.
- Clear expectations and relevant feedback are necessary for growth.
- Diversity and creativity are valued.
- Art, Music and Drama are vital to a balanced and enriched learning experience.
- Significant learning often extends beyond the curriculum and the classroom.
About Building an Effective School Community
- We value TEAM work: Together Everyone Achieves More.
- Modelling common values and language about rights, responsibilities, respect, tolerance and dignity creates a sense of community where everyone has a place.
- Promoting an environment ethic in students through environmental action strengthens our connection to nature and the community of the earth.
- We model our belief in solving problems in peaceful ways and conflict resolution by "talking it out".
- Students learn responsibility and citizenship skills through actively helping others and having meaningful leadership opportunities in the daily life of the school.
- Celebrations are vital in drawing a community together and honoring both individual and group efforts.
Who Was Roland Michener?
Rt. Honorable Roland Michener, Governor General of Canada from 1967 to 1973, returned to his native province to officially open the Roland Michener School, on Thursday, March 17, 1977, at 7:30 p.m. He was accompanied by Mrs. Michener. Mr. Michener was born in Lacombe, Alberta, in April 1900. He received his elementary and high school education in Red Deer and attended University in Edmonton before going to Oxford, England, as a Rhodes Scholar where he earned his M.A. and B.C.L.
He was called to the bar in Middle Temple, London, England, in 1923 and to the Ontario bar in 1924. He was a member of the Ontario Legislature for five years, holding the portfolio of Provincial Secretary. Elected to the House of Commons in 1935, he was named Speaker of the House in 1957. He was appointed High Commissioner to India in July 1964 and in 1967 was sworn in as the 20th Governor General of Canada. Roland Michener was the father of 'Participaction' - a Canadian physical activity that encouraged all Canadian Citizens to become more active. The Roland Michener School is a 31,315 square foot core school was designed by Cohos Evamy Partners and constructed by Joyce Construction Ltd., at a cost of $1,193,652.