First Day of Classes
Our first day of classes is Tuesday, September 1, 2020 and the school office is open to parents on Friday, August 28 at 9:00 AM.
School supplies are distributed by teachers as needed. Students should come to school with a water bottle, indoor shoes, a healthy snack and lunch - if they are staying for lunch..
School Start and End Times
2020-21 Class Times
|Monday to Friday AM||8:00 to 10:50 AM|
|Grades 1 - 5|
|Monday to Thursday||8:00 AM (entry)|
11:20 - 12:00 PM (lunch)
2:40 PM (dismissal)
|Fridays only||8:00 AM - 12:00 PM |
We are beginning our school year by limiting the number of students entering the school over the first two to three days. The purpose of the plan is:
- To ease the transition of students into school,
- To spend time with smaller groups familiarizing them with our health measures,
- To facilitate physical distancing while teaching the protocols of our health measures.
- Because of bussing, staggered entry days are full days.
- PLP students will therefore be in attendance full days beginning Sept. 1.
Staggered and School Entry Guidelines:
- Students with surnames ending in A–J attend school Sept. 1 & 3
- Students with surnames ending in K-Z attend school Sept. 2 & 4
- All students will attend school on Tuesday, September 8
- Parents can drop off their children on 4th AVE in front of the school in designated drop-off zones:
- Orange Pylons Zone adjacent to the school parking lot for Kindergarten drop offs ONLY (K parents may park to walk their children for first few days)
- Yellow Pylons Zone past the bus and handicap parking will indicate drop and go for Grades 1 – 5 families
- There will be no parking permitted in the Yellow Drop and Go zone
- If you wish to walk your child(ren) to their grade designated doors please park on side streets
- We encourage families to use the Drop and Go zones continuously after September 8
- Entrance doors will be communicated by your child’s Homeroom Cohort teacher prior to the first day of school via phone/email
- It is highly recommended that parents do not drop off their child(ren) no earlier than:
- 7:55 AM (Surnames A-K)
- 7:58 AM (Surnames L-Z)
due to physical distancing protocols
- While on the school property, parents must practice and model physical distancing
- Parents must remain outside of the building
- Students will line up outside of their cohort designated door while practicing physical distancing
- Teachers will meet & greet students at 7:55 AM
- Teachers will provide supervision at cohort doors ONLY
- Pick up of students will be at the same door as drop-off while maintaining physical distancing
- Please let your child know where you will be parked for pick up at the end of the day
- Reminder to parents to speak to their children about physical contact with teachers and other students when they return. In their excitement they may forget even though we are delighted to see them and excited they are back at school they will not be able to hug teachers or receive hugs for safety reasons. This is also the practice with their friends and classmates.
- Please remember that if you require to come into the office to speak with the office staff, parents must make appointments prior to visiting the school.
The school provides a safe and secure place for students to have their lunch break. All students must be registered in the lunch program to stay at school. Daily drop-in fees are also available. Roland Michener is not a nut-free school, we are a nut-aware school. Students that go home for lunch may return to school no earlier than 11:45 PM when additional supervisors are outside.
To help support our lunch program, parents can:
- Send nutritious lunches in a lunch bag labeled with their child’s name. It is appreciated when students bring their lunch to school in the morning.
- Help students dress appropriately for the weather with all clothing items clearly labeled.
- Remind your child not to share food.
- Inform the school of any allergies and/or medical conditions.
- Encourage packing litter- free lunches.
In the event of inclement weather, students will remain in their lunchroom. Students that go home for lunch should return just before the 12:00 PM bell and enter through the front doors as soon as they arrive at school.
For more information visit our Noon Supervision page.
Please visit our How to Register page for registration details and forms.
Our school office opens on August 28, 2020 at 9:00 AM for registration.