We are educating tomorrow's citizens today within a safe learning community by providing a challenging and engaging environment that embraces diversity.
In a positive, supportive environment, we provide opportunities for individual growth and change. We consider that our purpose is to:
- Stimulate intellectual curiosity
- Foster a sense of pride in achievement.
- Support and nurture independence and interdependence.
- Develop a foundation for life-long learning.
- Encourage responsible participation in the community.
History of Rosedale School
In 1922, the Calgary Normal School was founded on the campus of the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in Heritage Hall. A demonstration school was included on campus to provide training for student teachers and that's where Rosedale students attended classes prior to 1955. In 1955, the current Rosedale School was built and continued to provide teacher training in cooperation with the Faculty of Education, University of Alberta, Calgary Campus. This connection continued until the early 1960s when the faculty moved to the University of Calgary Campus and University Elementary School was built.
In the early 1960's the school expanded to include junior high students from Sunnyside School. In 1968, the school library opened in the current staff room. Two additional classrooms were created from "mudrooms." In 1978 a creative playground and was installed on the school grounds and updated in 1992. In 2010 a new creative playground with rubberized surface was built. Renovations creating a more open, visible off ice occurred in 1994. In 1997, a detached, portable classroom was moved beside the school with a second portable classroom in 1998. In 2017 the existing portables are removed and new modules are attached to the building.
Rosedale school has strong links to the community and to the families who are a part of it. Parents have traditionally played an active and supportive role in the school. The original Home and School Association became the Rosedale Parents Association in 1974, and changed to the Rosedale School Council in 1995. The Rosedale Society was reinstated in 2006, and remains very active.