Student safety is a top priority for us. Unfortunately, participation in the AMA School Safety Patrols Program is not available for students under Grade 5. As such, we are unable to provide that mutually rewarding leadership experience for students at Royal Oak School. Students who walk to and from school are encouraged to use crosswalks or appropriate corners when crossing the road. In order to maintain positive neighbourhood courtesy, we ask that students not trespass on private property.
The parking lot is out of bounds and potentially dangerous for students
Your assistant in not using the parking lot to drop off and pick up students or as a walk way, is essential. Please reinforce this with your child, as we do at school.
It is also illegal to park or drop off students in the middle of the crosswalk, in the bus loading zones, and in areas where the signage indicates stopping or parking is not permitted. It is imperative that all drivers observe school zone speed limits, obey traffic signage, and do not perform illegal U-turns along any roadways adjacent to the school.
This ensures the safety of our students and helps maintain positive relationships with neighbours. It is our job as the adults to teach children safe street crossing at the appropriate crosswalks and not in the middle of the street. We will be working with the Calgary Parking Authority and Calgary Police Service ensuring all children are safe to and from the school.
Parking Around Schools: Photo Enforcement
Calgary Parking Authority is helping to make school areas safer for our students and school communities. Here’s what you should know.
- The Calgary Parking Authority is now using photo enforcement in addition to Enforcement Officers in school
- areas, so tickets may be received in the mail or placed on vehicles that are in violation of parking regulations.
- You must follow posted signage, even if you remain in your vehicle.
Parking responsibly around schools is very important for the safety of the students attending these schools and members of the community.
TIPS: Avoid Parking Fines
- Stay back at least 1.5 metres from entrances to garages or driveways
- Watch for “No stopping” and “No parking zones
- Keep school bus zones clear
- Leave five metres between your car and cross walks
- Park at least five metres from stop signs, yield signs or intersections
View poster under Resources.