Attendance Line: 403-777-7520 ext. 1.
Research shows that regular school attendance has an important impact on a student’s success in school starting in kindergarten and continuing through high school. Even as children grow older and more independent, families play a key safely every day. When students miss too much school it can cause them to fall behind academically and socially.
We realize some absences are unavoidable due to health problems or other circumstances.
Please take note that the following absences will be excused:
- If your child is sick or has a medical or dental appointment. Sometimes your child’s school may request a medical note to support these absences.
- If you have a family emergency or a funeral.
- If you have a religious or cultural observance.
- If there is a court appearance directly related to your child.
- If CBE advises of extreme weather; if there are transportation cancellations due to weather.
We recognize enrichment activities and travel may present unique learning opportunities for your child. It is important to remember that these absences can create gaps in student learning and social development. It will be your responsibility as a parent/guardian to support your child’s learning if you choose to allow your child to miss school days for these activities. Please take note that the following absences will be unexcused:
- If you take a vacation or family holiday during school days. (The CBE provides many opportunities for families to holiday during winter, spring and summer breaks. We encourage you to book holidays during these breaks.)
- If your child needs to start late or leave early from school, due to non-school related extracurricular activities (athletic activities, enrichment programs, music programs, theatre performances, etc.)
If students are going to be absent, we ask that a guardian call the school and leave a message at the number above. If a message has not been received by 9:15 AM for morning or all day absences / lates or 12:55 PM for afternoon absences / lates, a call will be made to the guardian's’ daytime phone number.
Students who are absent from school for any reason are responsible for all work assigned or studied during their absence.
Medical Appointment vs. Lates
Students who are late to school for any reason must report to the office to sign in.
Medical Appointment (MA) are excused: A student returning from a medical appointment or emergency, whereby the legal guardian has called the school.
Lates (L) are unexcused: A student has accidentally slept in or lost track of time.
Leaving School During the Day
Legal Guardians must notify the office, either in writing or by a phone call, when their child needs to leave early for appointments.
- Legal Guardians of students in Grades 5 & 6 must sign out their child at the office.
- Students in Grades 7-9 can sign themselves out, as long as parents have called the school and spoken directly with office personnel.
Students may not leave the school without checking with the office. If a student becomes ill at school, they are to come to the office and call a parent from the school phone. Students will not be allowed to leave school without parental consent.
We are responsible for ensuring that all students get on the bus at the end of the day; and therefore, we require a phone call or written note excusing them from the ride home or to allow them to get off the bus at a different stop.
Students who will be missing an extended period of learning should obtain an Extended Absence Form from the office. Students should also be accessing their classroom D2L shells during their absence to ensure that they keeping up with their leaning and assignments.