Parent Night: Understanding and Supporting Regulation and Movement” with Erin Novak, CBE Occupational Therapist and Kim Hall, CBE Physical Therapist
This Virtual Parent Night tied together the work and support that the school’s Occupational Therapist and Physical Therapist have been providing this year, to both teachers and students, but with a focus for parents on how to understand and support these skills at home. Regulation, or Self-Regulation, is our bodies and brains ability to stay at an optimal state for being and learning; to manage emotions and energy levels to plan and carry out tasks. Erin &and Kim spoke about what contributes to possible 'dys'regulation, what ways children specifically regulate, and how we can support these needs at home.
- Languages for Parents Courses
Chinook Learning Services offers courses specifically designed for parents and caregivers of CBE French Immersion students. Develop some basic conversational skills and learn vocabulary that focuses on school terminology.
- Canadian Parents for French
- Planete des Alphas
- Literature Review on the Impact of Second-Language Learning: A four-page summary that lists and examines the many positive personal, societal, intercultural and economic impacts of learning a new language.
- Yes, You Can Help! Information and Inspiration for Parents of French Immersion Students : A document from the Alberta Government with extensive yet approachable information about many facets of learning in a French Immersion environment. Very accessible, and many simple, excellent suggestions about what you can do at home to help with language acquisition.
- Rainbow Schools Toolbox for parents of students in French Immersion and Core French: Another great guide that offers some foundational French information, such as key vocabulary, pronunciation, grammatical differences from English, some excellent website resources to consider, and more. You can flip to any page to quickly learn something new about the language, and then start a discussion with your child about it!
Please find attached a newsletter from one of our CBE's Speech Language Pathologists regarding Assistive Technology.
Access Mental Health (Alberta Health Services)
Calgary Public Library
- Free programs
- Digital resources
- Special Events
City of Calgary Drop-In Recreation Schedules
- Leisure Centres
- Preschooler Activities
Family Fun Calgary
- Information about upcoming family-friendly events and activities in Calgary
Integrated Services in Education (University of Calgary)
My Child's Learning (Learn Alberta)
- Includes Grade-at-a-glance describing what your child will be learning in each Grade
- Including questions such as:
- How can I encourage my child to develop good literacy and numeracy skills?
- How can I help my child with homework
- What if my child needs more support to be successful?