Students have access to a variety of media texts and technology tools in our Learning Commons and throughout their classrooms in the school. It is expected that all students adhere to expectations for responsible and ethical use of
technology and the Internet while in our school.
Students may use their own devices at their teacher's discretion to personalize their learning within the classroom. Provided they are being used appropriately, students may use personal cell phones and their own digital devices during the health break and lunch hour. There is no expectation that students must bring in or have their own device and those students who do not have a personal device to utilize in our school will continue to have access to other learning technologies.
With this ability comes the responsibility and understanding, and awareness of the power and risks of the internet use while enhancing student learning opportunities. The use of personal devices in our school will be at the discretion of our staff members at all times and our students will be asked to respect this expectation. It is important that parents/guardians and students remember the following:
- The school is not responsible for the loss, damage, or theft of student electronic devices.
- The school is not able to provide technical support for student devices.
- During instructional time, devices can only be utilized when students are under the direct supervision of a teacher in an approved area of the school.
- School devices can only be utilized for educational purposes.
- Misuse will be determined by the staff and administration.
In the event of a being upset, injured or feeling unwell, students are asked not to use their devices to communicate home. The acceptable practice is to ask the teacher to use the classroom phone or the student can use the office phone to
ensure staff are aware and can support the child as necessary.
We view Digital Citizenship as a shared responsibility between students, their families and the school and appreciate families taking the time to discuss this with their students.