We take safety and security seriously. It is important that we maintain a safe and caring community so that learning can take place.
Visitors & Volunteers
Our school is a closed campus. All visitors and volunteers must report directly to the main office to sign-in and request permission from the school administration to be in the school. This process helps us know where you are in case of an emergency and allows staff and students to know you have signed-in with the office staff by wearing your volunteer/visitor badge. All visitors are identified by blue SPB lanyards around their neck or appropriately identified name tags. Former students are welcome to visit the school and are requested to book a visit outside of SPB school hours.
In order to ensure school security, all exterior doors will be locked after school commences each day. Anyone who is not a student or school staff member is required to sign-in. Everyone is expected to extend appropriate courtesy and consideration to our guests.
Student Supervision Before & After School
The main doors of the school will be open to receive students 30 minutes prior to and after school (7:50 am and 3:30 pm). Parents are requested to ensure that drop-off and pick-up of students does not extend beyond these times, in order to ensure safety in the building, and adequate levels of supervision during non-instructional times. The rear, parking lot door will remain locked before school for safety purposes, and to curb the unauthorized dropping off and picking up of students in the staff parking lot. Students will only have access to enter the school through the two front-facing entryways.
Everyone should come to school dressed for the weather and ready for fresh air and exercise for 20 minutes daily at lunch. Our School has several outdoor fields, and a playground for students in Grades 6 and 7. For everyone’s safety, the following expectations have been created:
- Students will not climb on any structures (fences, sand container, shed, trees) other than the playground
- Students will use the slide, flying fox and other structures on the playground with care
- Students must leave snow on the ground at all times.
- Students in Grades 6 will play on the upper field only (not the lower field, where supervision of Gr. 7-9 students is reduced)
- Meal supervisors will wear fluorescent vests to be visible and provide assistance to students
- Meal supervisors will use walkie talkies / cell phones so they can communicate easily with the main office in the event of an emergency
- A teacher with supervision duty will circulate the periphery of the school grounds each lunch hour
In the event that school safety and security is a concern administration has the right to complete searches of student lockers, student property or personal belongings at any time.