Grade 6 students will be actively supervised over the first half of the lunch hour by staff, in which daily lunch attendance is taken. After taking attendance in Room 20-21 (2nd floor), Grade 6 students may remain in the common area or select to eat in various other designated locations in the school, along with Grade 7-9 students. Grade 6 students must come to school dressed for the weather and ready for fresh air and exercise for 20 minutes daily at lunch.
Designated areas for eating include:
- Cafeteria / lunch lounge on the main floor
- School courtyard
- Hallway benches
- Bistro tables
- Teacher classrooms (by invitation).
Eating on the stairwells and landings is not permitted as it is a safety hazard. Students in Grades 6 must remain on school property at all times, and do not have permission, under any circumstances, to leave without being accompanied and signed out by a parent or legal guardian at the main office. Careful supervision from meal supervisors and teachers, in classrooms, lunchroom, hallways and outdoors at lunchtime is a high priority.
Food Choices & Amenities
- Students are strongly encouraged to bring a healthy lunch, and also participate in the weekly Healthy Hunger.
- Purchasing unhealthy food and beverage options from the various locales surrounding the school is discouraged for the Grade 7-9 students who choose to leave the campus at lunch.
- Snacks are available from the vending machines in front of the main office. You may access the vending machine before or after school, during nutrition break and lunch. You may not access the vending machine in between classes.
- Numerous microwaves are provided in the throughout the school for exclusive student use.
- The school also holds regular food sales and will pilot new special weekly dishes, served through the Grade 7-9 Foods classes.
A weekly online ordering system is available to students, called Healthy Hunger. Parents sign up and order meals on a weekly basis, which are delivered to the school and distributed by leadership students and staff. Healthy Hunger lunch options include Boston Pizza, Subway, Edos, Booster Juice and others.
As a number of our students have severe allergies to nuts, including peanuts, we are an Allergy Aware school. We ask for your support in protecting students with allergies by not sending foods containing tree nuts or peanuts to school. For more information about this and other health concerns see our Illness & Medical page.