Our focus is on promoting a healthy lifestyle which includes physical fitness and nutrition. Junk food is discouraged and in some cases not allowed on campus. We appreciate parents supporting us in ensuring students have healthy snacks and lunches at school.
The Calgary Board of Education provides students with the option to stay at school for lunch. Lunch Supervision is offered to all students in Grades 1- 6 and in our full-day kindergarten programs for an annual fee. Please visit our Lunch Supervision page for information.
Grades 4, 5 & 6
- Lunchroom supervision will be provided.
- These students who are registered for the lunch program are not permitted to leave the school campus during the school day.
- These students do not have access to hot water or microwaves
- Students are required to stay in designated lunch areas until 12:30 pm.
- At 12:30, students are expected to start going outside to the field area (weather permitting) or other options (i.e: Learning Commons or Intramurals) where supervision will be provided.
- Students may take longer to eat their lunch in their designated areas if required.
- Students should bring appropriate clothing to be outside at lunchtime.
- Students re-enter the school at the 12:55 warning bell where they are expected to go to their lockers and get prepared for afternoon classes.
Grades 7, 8 & 9
- These students have permission to leave the campus at lunch provided they return to school on time for afternoon classes. Everyone is expected to behave in a respectful manner towards community businesses and neighbouring residents.
- We encourage junior high students who are leaving the school for lunch to make healthy choices if they are going to purchase their food at such places as Macs.
- Those students who remain at school during the lunch break are asked to clean up after themselves.
- Students are expected to go outside during the lunch hour, (weather permitting) if they are not involved in clubs or intramurals.
- Due to COVID-19 we have cohorted intramurals and open gym time during lunch
- We will be starting up lunch time clubs in January
- Lunch supervision is provided on a schedule and staff volunteers their time to support clubs and intramurals
- We encourage all students to be involved in the many lunchtime activities that are available.
If your child is in grade 7-9 they are permitted to leave the Sherwood campus over the lunch period, please be aware there is no school supervision provided to any student going off campus. Supervision of students is limited to Sherwood School. Please discuss appropriate behavior when patronizing the businesses in the neighbourhood, and being in the community itself. Students should be respectful of others using these establishments, as well as disposing of litter in trash bins available. Students who are abusive or disruptive will face consequences at school. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone and to initiate police involvement if behavior dictates.
Students in Grades 4-6 are not permitted to leave campus over the lunch hours, unless permissions have been granted (via the office) in advance for students who walk home for lunch. Students are expected to be back at the school on time when the lunch break is over and ready for their classes to begin in the afternoon.
A daily Nutrition Break is included in all student's schedules. The break runs from 9:54 to 10:11 a.m. (Mon.-Thurs.) and 10:14-10:26am (Friday). Due to the significantly shorter time on Fridays, all students must remain in the school during the break. Students have an opportunity to have a snack, and will be expected to go outside for a fresh air and mask break.
As a number of our students have severe allergies to nuts, including peanuts, we are an Allergy Aware school. We ask for your support in protecting students with allergies by not sending foods containing tree nuts or peanuts to school. For more information about this and other health concerns see our Illness & Medical page.