Grade 9 Families
Welcome to the High School Registration page for our grade nine students. This page is a space to communicate key information about the High School Registration process and to provide resources and information links for students. Your child will be registered for their designated school by Sherwood staff. All high school registrations are made based on your child’s current address. Students require registering for their designated school. For the most up to date times and information please visit school websites.
Designated High School
Each CBE student is designated to a high school based on their home address on file with CBE. See the High School Designations link below to confirm your designated high school. The majority of students at Sherwood are designated to Henry Wise Wood School for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Follow the "Find a School" link - Find a School
- Enter your address and your designated high school will be revealed
- Link | High School Designations
- Link | High School Designation Map
High School Planning Guide
This guide is from last year; the newest version will be released soon. Once it is, it will be posted here. Last year's guide still provides key information about high school registration and courses for high school.
High School Transfer Process
The High School Transfer Process opens February 1 to March 15. See the links below.
School Enrolment Status:
If you are interested in an alternative program please be aware of the application process and different deadlines. If you have any questions please reach out to us at 403-777-7590. Before transfers can be accepted, CBE high schools need to make sure there are enough spaces for students who live in the communities designated to each each school. In some cases, transfers are not possible.
Schools are identified as:
- OPEN: The most spaces available to accepts transfers.
- LIMITED: Some space available to accepts transfers from students resident to CBE.
- CLOSED: No space to accepts transfers. The only exception is IB Program transfers where the school is the student's Area school for IB, and the student is resident to CBE.
A parent/legal guardian can request for a student to transfer to another CBE high school for the next school year for one of the following reasons:
- To enrol in an education program NOT offered at the student's designated school (e.g. International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme or Advanced Placement (AP); CBe-learn or
- To take a sequence of courses up to the 30-level that is NOT offered at the student's designated school (e.g. cosmetology, welding and fabrication, culinary arts, and auto mechanics).
You can only choose one program, or one sequence of courses, as the reason for your transfer request.
Henry Wise Wood High School
Future IB Warriors and Families
Website: Henry Wise Wood website
International Baccalaureate Program Information Night: Thursday, January 17 at 7:00 p.m.
- Held both virtually and in-person for current grade nine students looking to apply to the IB Program for the 2023-2024 school year. Topics include an overview of the IB Program with components and requirements, University recognition, costs and benefits of the program. If you have any questions about the evening, please email the IB Coordinator, Mr. Glenn Finockio, at email@example.com.
- The in-person session will be held at Henry Wise Wood in the main gym.
- The virtual session will mirror their earlier session in November; they will be available to answer student and parent questions through a Microsoft Teams event.
School Tour (in-person): Thursday, January 26 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- For more details, please refer to the Parent Letter and Acknowledgement of Risk Form sent out by School Messenger. All students designated to Henry Wise Wood have received paper copies from their homeroom teacher. Please return the Acknowledgement of Risk Form on or before January 20, 2023. There is no cost to go on this trip.
Open House (in-person): Thursday, January 26 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- All students and families interested in Henry Wise Wood programming are encouraged to attend this Open House.
Student Information Session (In-person visits): Tuesday, January 24 at 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.
- Glenn will be at Sherwood to speak to students interested in the IB Program at Henry Wise Wood. The presentation will include an overview of the IB Program including courses, options and benefits. He will also answer student questions about how IB works at Henry Wise Wood.
For Information About Open Houses (Non-Designated)
Central Memorial High School
Website: Central Memorial
Open House: Thursday, November 24 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. All interested students and families are welcome to attend!
- Performing and Visual Arts: PVA at Central
- Online Expression of Interest Applications for PVA Fine Arts programs
at Central Memorial High School are open for prospective students.
- Deadline for Expression of Interest Application and supplementary materials is January 16, 2023
- Students will be scheduled for an in-person or virtual audition/interview between January 23-26, 2023
Click here if you want to apply for PVA at Central: I Want to Apply
Jack James High School
Website: Jack James
Open House: Thursday, January 26 from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m.
State of the art, personalized learning community that emphasizes engaging, hands-on, and practical opportunities. Provides extensive support for students as they transition to the workplace or post-secondary. Students are provided with a flexible learning environment that includes Knowledge and Employability (K&E) courses integrating essential employability skills while supporting student success and achievement. This is a school of choice for students across the city.
Grade 9 Tour: Tuesday, January 24 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Students are interested in going to Jack James High School or are interested in seeing their program, please let Sherwood Student Services or the Assistant Principal know, so they can forward you more information. Please let Student Services or Admin know if you are interested. Schools must confirm attendance with Jack James High School by Friday, January 20th.
Please contact: Rupi Bergamin, Assistant Principal, JJHS
Registration information/Process for grade 9s transitioning to Jack James High School Unique Setting is as follows:
- If families support the transition, Junior Highs will designate the student directly to Jack James High School by March 15.
- Complete the required (3) forms for Jack James High School:
- Course selection form
- The Unique Settings high school transfer form with guardians
- Knowledge & Employability Courses Informed Consent Form
- Forward completed forms to Jack James by email to the guidance team: Sandi Nichol (last names A-L), firstname.lastname@example.org or Lynsey Bechert (last names M-Z), email@example.com
- Transition meetings with guidance to support students.
- Personalized tours can be arranged in the spring with individual students and families on request.
Western Canadian High School
Website: Western Canada
Sherwood students are no longer designated to Western Canada due to boundary changes. Western is a closed campus this year, so Western is unable to take any out-of-boundary students for English IB. Anyone living in Calgary city limits can be designated to WCHS for French Immersion IB, however, must come from a French Immersion or Francophone program.
Lord Beaverbrook High School
Website: Lord Beaverbrook
Open House: Has been rescheduled to Wednesday, January 25 from 6;30 to 8:30 p.m.
Registration Page: Lord Beaverbrook
Literacy, English, and Academic Development (L.E.A.D.): Programming for ELL/ESL Students
For more information regarding the Literacy, English, and Academic Development (L.E.A.D) Program for ELL/ESL Students, please visit the brochure link below.
L.E.A.D. Brochure | pdf
CBE | English Language Learners (ELL)