Get Involved | School Council & Parent Society
- Sherwood School Council and Parent Society meet on the first Monday of every month at 6:30pm in the Sherwood School Learning Commons - Please come out and join us!
- Parents/guardians can make a meaningful difference for our students, school and community is to participate and support our Parent Society & School Council team. Have a voice and learn about the amazing things happening at Sherwood School.
- Check out the Sherwood School Get involved webpage for more information.
All parents are welcome to participate. Many committees are established at these meetings to deal with various items of school business.
School Council and Parent Association usually meets in the Sherwood School Learning Commons on the first Monday of the month at 6:30 pm. This year we've been meeting virtually on Teams, the link is sent out in the Archer Arrow.
Chair: Jen D.
Vice Chair: Vacant
Treasurer: Glenda M.
Secretary: Vanessa L. Casino Lead: Glenda M.
Key Communications: Jen D.
Riverbend Liaison: Glenda M.
Mahogany Liaison: Vacant
Banting and Best School Liaison: Jen D.
email | firstname.lastname@example.org
School Council Roles
- The President shall have general knowledge of all activities of the Society and will carry out duties assigned by the Society.
- The President shall call all Meetings of the Board and shall preside at all General Meetings of the Membership and Meetings of the Board.
- The President will be the chief spokesperson for the Society, unless otherwise delegated.
- The President shall be copied on all Society communications and will review any communications to the membership, parent body, School community or public prior to distribution and shall include the Vice-President in same.
- The President shall have a vote at any meeting.
- The President will be an ex-officio member of all Committees.
- The Vice-President shall assist the President in all Society activities and will carry out other duties assigned by the President.
- In the event of absence, resignation, incapacity or extended leave of absence of the President, the Vice-President shall fulfill the responsibilities of the President until the next elections at the AGM. The President’s position remains vacant until the new President is elected.
- In the absence of both the President and the Vice-President from meetings, a Chair may be elected or appointed at the meeting to preside.
- The Vice-President will be copied on all Society communications and will review any communications to the membership, parent body, School community or public prior to distribution.
- It shall be the duty of the Secretary to attend all General Meetings of the Membership and Meetings of the Board, to keep accurate minutes of the same, and to prepare these for distribution.
- In the absence of the Secretary, his/her duties shall be discharged by such Officer or Director as may be appointed by the Board.
- The Secretary shall have charge of all Society membership forms, correspondence and/or documentation and be under the direction of the President and the Board. All documentation, literature, correspondence, forms, thumb drives, etc. are the property of the Society. The outgoing Secretary shall transition this property to the incoming Secretary at the end of his/her term.
- The Secretary shall keep an accurate Register of Members of the Society, including contact information, as required by the Societies Act, and shall send all Society correspondence/notices as required.
- The Treasurer shall receive all monies paid to the Society and be responsible for the deposit of same in whatever Bank, Trust Company, Credit Union or Treasury Branch the Board may order.
- The Treasurer shall properly account for the funds of the Society, keep such books as may be directed and disburse funds as required. All records, receipts, documentation, forms, thumb drives, etc. are the property of the Society. The outgoing Treasurer shall transition this property to the incoming Treasurer at the end of his/her term.
- The Treasurer shall present a full detailed account of receipts and disbursements to the Board whenever requested and shall prepare for submission to the Annual General Meeting of the Membership a duly audited statement of the financial position of the Society and shall submit a copy of same to the Secretary for the records of the Society.
- The Treasurer will prepare, and submit with Board approval, any financial reports required by organizations and agencies in a timely manner.
- The signing authorities of the financial accounts will be a minimum of two elected Officers of the Society.
what the list means:
- Attend all meetings, run the meetings and keep the meetings in order and on course
- Edit and approve all meeting minutes before they are sent out to council
- Keep the Principal and Vice Principal informed of Society doings (they usually attend the meetings so this step is done at each meeting), occasional meetings
- Prepare Agenda for each meeting
- Make sure the Society is following the Bylaws/ code of conduct (keeping on topic and talking about appropriate topics)
- Be informed of all Society's activities
- Share any correspondence with the Society's Vice President
- Save correspondence, agenda, treasure reports and meeting minutes on the google drive
- Assist the President in any or all duties
- Run the meeting in the absence of the President
- Be included in all correspondence, sent to you by the President
- Attend all meetings
- Take minutes of meetings
- Share with President for editing and approval
- Hand out membership forms. collect forms and enter information into our google doc, then destroy
- Have a general knowledge of the Bylaws
- Review monthly statements from RBC.
- Prepare monthly Treasurer report and file backups.
- Receive the "Current Use of Proceeds List" from AGLC in September and review.
- Receive and review the annual spending requests from the school in Sept/Oct for both the General and Casino accounts.
- Renew Insurance (paperwork and cheque) in October.
- Finalize annual report (July 1 of previous year to June 30 of current year) for approval at AGM in October, have two auditors review. Following the AGM, complete the register of executive and submit AGLC, CRA and Alberta Registries when required Change signing Authorities at RBC (as required, after the AGM) Support Casino Chairperson as-required (e.g. writing cheques for the casino advisor).
- File the CRA Annual Return before December 31. This includes the annual report noted above.
- Submit the Society Annual Return with Alberta Registries before January 31. This includes the annual report noted above. Re-start paper filing system to begin July 1.
- Prepare annual report for the period July 1 of previous year to June 30 of current year (this will be presented at the AGM).
- Submit the AGLC Annual Return for the period June 1, of previous year to May 31, of current year before August 11.