Silver Springs School is a small K-6 elementary school located in the northwest community of Silver Springs. Opening in 1976, it shares a large play area which is located on the same site as the Silver Springs Community Centre. The site includes an outdoor hockey rink, swimming pool, soccer fields, baseball diamonds and a creative playground. The school is adjacent to beautiful Bowmont Park and is within a block of the Birthplace Forest.
Silver Springs School has a large gymnasium which is used for daily physical education classes during cold weather.
The school student council continues to support various initiatives that support literacy, mathematics, critical thinking, Physical Education, and well-being. This year we will be meeting on the second Tuesday of each month.
"Successful Learning For All"
The staff of Silver Springs School is committed to the continuous nature of learning. We celebrate that children come to us a unique and talented individuals who learn in different ways. We have high standards for learning and behavior and work closely with our families to support each child's learning journey. At the heart of our work is passion and drive to develop students who love learning and who will contribute to the world in unique and meaningful ways.
At Silver Springs School, we take care of ourselves, each other, and our place. This year we are focusing on three aspects of community building- Compassion, Belonging, and Learning.
- reading, writing and numeracy skills are the building blocks for learning.
- students bring gifts and talents to the entire school community.
- students have rights and responsibilities.
- careful assessment and responsive programming is key in helping students learn in a multitude of ways.
- students should be guided to solve problems in collaborative ways.
- learning involves the growth of curiosity, creativity and self awareness.
- learning needs to be promoted in a safe and caring community.
- learning is a process of risk-taking, challenge, success and growth.
- learners flourish in academic programs that embrace critical thinking through the arts, technology and athletics.
About our School Name
The community was named after a natural spring in nearby Bowmont Park. The school was named after the community of Silver Springs.