Dear Simon Fraser Families,
We hope all our families enjoy the summer with your amazing children. We are also welcoming our incoming grade 5 families in this message! Welcome to Simon Fraser! The school office will be open again on Monday August 28, 2023. Until then, I will be checking emails periodically and will respond to any urgent matters. There are a couple of important updates we would like our families to be aware of for September.
Dear Simon Fraser Families,
We hope all our families enjoy the summer with your amazing children. We are also welcoming our incoming grade 5 families in this message! Welcome to Simon Fraser! The school office will be open again on Tuesday August 24. Until then, I will be checking emails periodically and will respond to any urgent matters.
Dear Simon Fraser Families,
We were all excited to welcome your children back to school this week. We have had a busy week and ready for a full week of learning next week. Not many updates for families this week:
- A friendly reminder that students must carry their CBE Bus Passes on the school bus every day. The drivers are checking for the passes starting January 11.
- Bus passes issued from past years are meant to be used from year to year, a new pass is not issued unless the parents request it. The request form can be found in your MyCBE/PowerSchool account. Please submit a request for a new pass for your child if he or she no longer has one.
Thank you for your cooperation!
Report Card Visibility:
- Feb. 1 Simon Fraser Student Report cards will be enabled for viewing. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not set up your PowerSchool Account or you require a paper copy of the report card.
- We will meet for parent council this Monday January 18, 2021 at 7:00 pm via Teams. I will send a reminder on Monday at 12:00 to all families about the meeting including the agenda and minutes from our last meeting. The email address to reach the parent council is Simonfraserparents@hotmail.com
Click here to join the meeting
Have a wonderful weekend!
Dear Simon Fraser Families,
We are excited to welcome all of the children back to school on Monday. We are sure our parents and students are feeling ready to return to school. I personally cannot wait to have everyone back in school! We welcome back Mr. Edmonds as he is returning to work on Monday morning. We are thankful to have had Ms. Hall in to replace him and want to thank her for all her hard work in the last few months.
Here are a few updates for this week:
Return to School After International Travel
- Students and families who have travelled outside of Canada are legally required to follow all provincial and federal travel restrictions upon arrival.
- If your family is participating in the International Border Testing Pilot Program, your child may not return to school until they have tested negative on a second test 6 or 7 days after your arrival.
If you are not enrolled in the pilot program, your child must:
This means your child is unable to return to school for a minimum of 14 days after your return.
- We will continue with the fun lunch program from Healthy Hunger in the New Year. So far parent council has booked Subway for January 20 and 27 and possibly Panago for February 3. If you want to order for your child please see below:
- HH Parents_signup.pdf
- Those families who borrowed a Chromebook for online learning are reminded to bring it back to school on Monday, January 11th. Students are asked to take the ChromeBook to class in the morning and then they will be called down to the office by Homeroom to check in the devices. Please ensure the power cord is returned as the device will not be signed back in unless the cord is with it!
Assessment and Reporting:
Assessment of student learning is ongoing. However, there are some important dates families need to be aware of.
- January 13, 2021 Last day for teachers to collect assessment information from students for this reporting period
- January 7-24 Teachers will be entering report card comments
- February 1-5 report cards will be available in PowerSchool.
- Families can view current updates on student assessment in PowerSchool.
- Report cards are just one way in which we communicate student learning, and teachers will continue to update families with current student progress through many forms of communication such as PowerSchool, emails, phone calls, parent teacher interviews etc.
Grade 9 High School Transition Information:
As a system we are working hard to refine our current transfer process for our students and families. These important changes to the process will begin to ensure an equitable distribution of student opportunities in all of our high schools. The CBE system leadership team will be communicating with families in the upcoming months regarding these changes. We ask all our families to be patient as we sort through all of the shifts. If you are considering making application for transfer, the current forms found on the CBE website will be updated to reflect new processes in the next few weeks. Please hold tight and wait to complete any transfer application paperwork at this time - we will inform families as soon as the new process and forms are available.
We will be starting the process of registering our students in their designated schools and completing recommendation forms and choosing high school courses in the upcoming weeks. These documents will be coming home for parent engagement and signatures. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have questions or concerns regarding this process. Our students at Simon Fraser have several different designated schools. Please review the school information below and visit the school's website for your child's designated school:
Sir Winston Churchill
- Grade 9 students viewed the virtual tour on Thursday, January 7, 2021.
- The link for the tour as well as the counselor information is on the grade 9 stream and listed below:
- Virtual Tour link https://youtu.be/o1a3Y0E0ZLM
Counselor information link https://youtu.be/leufGixAgNc
Sir Winston Churchill will host their Virtual Open House on January 14, 2021. You will need to register for specific sessions. Here is the link for the virtual Open House: is https://sites.google.com/educbe.ca/swc-counsellor-update-202122/virtual-tour-open-house#h.wqhbtu5ifqw3
- On Monday, January 11, 2021 we will receive a power point for grade 9 students.
- Virtual Open House January 28, 2021
- Virtual Open House January 19, 2021
- Virtual Open House January 13, 2021
Enjoy the weekend!
Dear Simon Fraser Families,
The holidays have officially arrived. We are wishing all of our families a wonderful holiday season. We look forward to welcoming all of the children back online from January 4-8 and then back for face-to-face learning on January 11, 2021. Just a few updates today:
- All families that requested a Chromebook received one to borrow for the first week of online learning. We ask that all families return the laptop on the first day back on January 11 as these computers are used for daily learning in many classrooms.
- Thank you to all the families that have purchased COOP cards. We will continue to have the cards for purchase into the New Year, so anyone interested can contact the main office at any point.
- The options will change on January 4 for our grade 7 and grade 9 students (grade 8 students do not have an option change until the end of January). Teachers will have already sent a request for you child to join their Google Classroom; however, we wanted our families to be aware of this change and have the Google Meeting codes for the first week back.
|January 4th- January 29th |||||||
|Classes/teacher ||||||Google Meet Code |
|7-14||Option 7||Ms. Cook||Sf7cook|
|7-21||Learning Strategies||Ms. Kawalauskas||Sf7kawalauskas|
|||Classes||Teachers||Google Meet Codes |
|9-10 ||French||Ms. Berenger||Sf9berenger|
|9-11 ||Art ||Ms. Reinson- Adams||Sf9reinsonadam |
|9-13 ||Option Cluster ||Ms. Schreiber||Sf9schreiber|
|9-15 ||Music||Ms. Andersson||Sf9andersson|
I want to thank our entire school community for making me feel so welcome at Simon Fraser. In a year when becoming a new principal could have been especially challenging, I have felt so supported by our parents, students and staff. Simon Fraser is such a welcoming and inclusive school community, and I feel very lucky to be of service to all of you each day. Stay safe and enjoy family time! Thank you!
Good Evening Simon Fraser Families,
It is so hard to believe we are heading into our last week before the holidays. This week students continued to maintain excellent attendance and engagement in school for our 5 and 6 students and online for our grade 7, 8, and 9 students. Students and staff are ready for the break, but we are so thankful for having had such a great start to the year and for having face-to-face learning up until now. Thank you to all of our families for their support, and we are wishing all of you a resftul, safe and healthy holdiay.
Here are this week's updates:
CBE Middle & Junior High School Spirit Week:
- Monday, Dec. 14 Winter or Holiday Hat Day, wear your “coolest" winter, or funkiest holiday, hat.
- Tuesday, Dec. 15 Holiday Character Day, dress up as your favorite holiday book or movie character
- Wednesday, Dec. 16 Healthy Hunger lunch – Subway and Ugly Winter Sweater Day, you know you have one – find that ugly sweater and make it look fabulous!
- Thursday, Dec. 17 Polar Express Day, it's not every day you can wear your coziest PJs to school – but today is THE day!
- Friday, Dec. 18 Last Day of Classes – 12:18 Dismissal and Winter Vacation Day, just because it's cold outside, doesn't mean we can't dream of a tropical beach vacation – show us your best sunny destination attire.
Winter Break - Monday, Dec. 21 – Jan. 1
School resumes on Monday, Jan. 4 - online only
In-school learning resumes on Monday, Jan. 11
Message for school CO-OP gift card fundraiser:
- Our school's CO-OP gift card fundraiser is on! Please email the office at SimonFraser@cbe.ab.ca and let us know how many cards you would like to buy to support the school. Cards are available in $25 denominations. The amount you choose will be applied to your parent PowerSchool account and can be paid for online. Gift cards can either be sent home with your student or kept in the office to be picked up by the parent. Any money raised will go towards subsidizing future field trips and student activities.
Subscribe to receive all CBE emails:
- If you have not done so yet please subscribe to stay informed today at
Moving from Hub Online Learning to In-Person Learning:
- Students registered in Hub online learning have one opportunity to return to in-person instruction at their school for the remainder of the school year. This is the only time students may move from Hub online learning to in-person instruction. Otherwise, students will remain in Hub online learning until the end of the school year.
- Families / Independent Students will need to inform their school of their decision to return to in-person instruction by noon on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021.
More inforrmation can be find here: https://cbe.ab.ca/programs/hub/Pages/default.aspx.
Grade 5 and 6 Transitioning to Online January 4-8:
- All grade 5 and 6 families recieved a message from me today outlining important information for the transition to online! Parents can expect a follow-up email with more specifcs from their child's teacher no later than Wednesday end of day.
Next Friday, we have planned some special events for our grade 5 and 6 classes to send them off for the holidays. The morning will include some outdoor activities and a cohort showing of the Grinch. We look forward to another full week of learning with your children!
Dear Simon Fraser Families,
This week our grade 7,8, and 9 students were launched into online learning. The building was much quieter; however, our grade 5 and 6 students were enjoying the opportunity to be the focus of all our attention. Several of our grade 6 students commented to me how much they were loving that they did not have to wait their turn to use the basketball court! Teachers commented all week that the online learning was going very well. Only a handful of students struggled to get online on Monday morning and attendance has been exemplary. The teachers also commented on how maintaining the daily schedule was incredibly supportive of student engagement. We thank all our families for making this transition as seamless as possible and please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns!
Here are some updates for this week:
This week's events:
- Tuesday is wacky sock day!
- Wednesday is Fun Lunch Healthy Hunger and today is the last day to order.
- Rachel Newson who has been here as a temporary teacher for the last few years will be leaving at the beginning of the winter break. Paige Applehof will be returning from maternity leave in the new year. Specific information regarding this change will be sent today to those grades impacted by this change.
Transition to Online Grade 5 and 6:
- We will be meeting as a grade 5 and 6 team this Tuesday to begin planning for the transition to online for the week after winter break. More information will be provided to our grade 5 and 6 families by the end of next week.
- It is most important that our grade 5 and 6 families please reach out to us if there is a need for your child to borrow a Chromebook. We will have the laptops ready for your child to take home on the last few days of school. Please email the main office at Simonfraser@cbe.ab.ca. We have a limited number of Chromebooks to lend out so the earlier you can let us know the better chance we have of sourcing a laptop before the holiday begins.
Have a wonderful weekend. We look forward to a full week of learning with all of our children both online and face-to-face. As always, please reach out with any questions you may have.
Well folks, this has been quite a week! We are ready to move our 7, 8 and 9 students online starting Monday. I am sorry that we have been inundating our families with so much information. Please review the information carefully and reach out if you or your child(ren) still have questions or need support. If you missed contacting us for technology, please do so as soon as possible to ensure your child does not fall behind academically. Here are just a few updates:
Grade 6 Vaccinations:
HUB Parent-Teacher Interviews:
Interviews for HUB students can now be booked by families through the parent PowerSchool Account. The interview dates and time are:
Thursday, December 3 from 1:00 pm-7:30 pm
Friday, December 4 from 9:00 am-3:00 pm
Professional Learning Day:
It was hard to say goodbye today to our students in grade 7, 8 and 9. I am so proud of our students, staff, and families for their diligence in following the protocols and processes put in place since September. We have all worked together this school year to keep student learning uninterrupted. We know that these new protocols are important and support public health, and we must do our part as a school community. Even after all this challenging work, we know these changes are necessary.
We hope our families enjoy the weekend, and we look forward to welcoming our students back to school, online or face-to-face, first thing Monday morning.
Parent-Teacher interviews went very well, with just a few technology start-up glitches. We want to thank our families for taking the time to book and meet with our teachers. I was able to overhear several of the rich conversations about student learning. It was wonderful to see the partnership between our students’ families and our staff. Just a few updates this week:
Tuesday, Nov. 24 – Decade Day
Tuesday, Nov. 24 – Lockdown – this will be our first of two mandatory lockdown drills this year. Staff will be reviewing procedures with students prior to the drill that we will hold in the afternoon with the support of our Resource officer.
Wednesday, Nov. 25 – Healthy Hunger lunch
Reporting Absence and Late:
If your child is going to be late, absent, or leaving early for an appointment, it is very important to call our Attendance Line at (403) 777-7290 (dial 1) and leave a message. This is the easiest, and most efficient way to ensure that your child is properly accounted for. You can still inform the teacher of the absence, but this is not a substitute for calling the attendance line.
Parent PowerSchool Account:
Please check that your parent PowerSchool Account is active and working. Access to your child’s future report cards, paying school fees, applying for fee waivers, booking future parent student teacher conferences, and registering for bussing and noon supervision services are all found in this account. Please contact the school office if you need assistance on this.
We are excited to offer a virtual book fair for our Simon Fraser Families. You will find a link below that will take you and your child(ren) to a site to browse the books ahead of time. All orders will be shipped to your home and shipping is free on orders of $35.00 and up. There is also free shipping on Family Night (Wednesday) from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Our Scholastic Virtual Book Fair started on November 17th and will continue to November 27th, 2020. To shop, visit our school’s Virtual Book Fair site using this link: https://bookfairs-canada.myshopify.com/pages/5151965
Before our Fair begins, click the link to:
Update | “C” and “D” Trips
Test Alert Across Alberta
On Wednesday, Nov. 25 at 1:55 p.m., the wireless public alerting system will send out a test alert across Alberta. During the test, an alert sound will go off on compatible cellphones with a message letting the cellphone user know that the sound is part of a test, and there is no need for concern.
School Development Plan, Fees Reporting and School Results Reporting:
The Fees Report and School Results Report for the last school year are now posted on the website. By November 24, 2020, the Simon Fraser Three Year School Development Plan will also be available. Please feel free to reach out and connect with any questions or concerns you may have regarding these important reporting documents.
Enjoy the continued warm weather. It will be the perfect weekend for hitting the outdoor rinks and tobogganing hills. We look forward to a full week of learning with your children next week. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time. I have so appreciated the emails and questions from parents.
Simon Fraser's Remembrance Day Virtual Ceremony was held on Tuesday and our leadership classes did a beautiful presentation truly honoring the day. The Principal's Council also presented their second Mental Health Minute on Thursday. This week the students focused on supporting our students to know more about the different ways a person may experience anxiety and tips on managing healthy and unhealthy stress. Please take the time to sign up for and attend a virtual parent-teacher conference. Here are the updates for this week:
Upcoming Weekly Events:
- Monday, Nov. 16 – School Council online Meeting at 7:00 pm (link below)
- Tuesday, Nov. 17 – Twin Day / Healthy Hunger lunch
- Wednesday, Nov. 18 – early dismissal at 12:18 / online PST Conferences 3-7 pm
- Thursday, Nov. 19 – early dismissal at 12:18 / online PST Conferences 3-7 pm
- Friday, Nov. 20 – No School for students / online PST Conferences 9 am -1 pm
Book Fair Information:
· We are excited to offer a virtual book fair for our Simon Fraser Families. You will find a link below that will take you and your children to a site to browse the books ahead of time. All orders will be shipped to your home and shipping is free on orders of $35.00 and up. There is also free shipping on Family Night (Wednesday) from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
So save the date! Our Scholastic Virtual Book Fair will take place on November 17th to November 27th, 2020. When it's time to shop, visit our school's Virtual Book Fair site using this link: https://bookfairs-canada.myshopify.com/pages/5151965
Before our Fair begins, click the link to:
· SAVE it to your browser
· WATCH videos of popular new titles
· PREVIEW our Featured Books
· If you have received a notice regarding your child's overdue book but could not find and return the book, please pay the book fine online through your parent PowerSchool account. This fee will be added to your account by the end of next Friday, November 20. Please note, no cash will be accepted at the school. Thank you.
Reporting Absences and Lates:
· If your child is going to be late, absent or leaving early for an appointment, it is very important to call our Attendance Line at (403) 777-7290 (dial 1) and leave a message. This is the easiest, and most efficient way to ensure that your child is properly accounted for. You can still inform the teacher of the absence, but this is not a substitute for calling the attendance line.
Reminder for PST Conferences online booking:
· The November 2020 Parent Student Teacher Conferences are for In Class Students only.
o Nov.18 (3-7pm)
o Nov.19 (3-7pm)
o Nov.20 (9am-1pm)
Please note, Nov. 18 & 19 will be early dismissal days. Classes end at 12:18 pm, and busses depart at 12:26 pm.
· If you cannot schedule a meeting with a teacher, please contact that teacher directly to make alternate arrangements. All of our staff email addresses can be found on our school website, and available on your PowerSchool Mobile App.
· The parent-teacher interview is a very short window of time to discuss your child's current success in learning. If you have any concerns regarding your child's academic or social and emotional well-being that needs additional attention, please be sure to reach out to us so that we can set up additional time to support.
Interviews will be booked through your MyCBE Parent Account. The appointments will be conducted online for a maximum of 10 minutes each.
A user guide is also available on the MyCBE/PowerSchool Technical Support for Students & Parents page to assist families:
· Book a school conference
· Join the online conference in Microsoft Teams on a computer, tablet or smartphone that has a mic and a video camera.
· Connect by phone if you don't have access to a computer, tablet, or smartphone
You can find step-by-step instructions for School Conferences in the Parent User Guide:
· Parent User Guide - Booking a Conference
·Parent User Guide - Joining Online Conference
Our next parent council meeting is on Monday November 16 at 7 pm. Parents are welcome to join the council on a regular basis or just drop in! This week, I will be talking about the OurSCHOOL survey results. Here is the link to join:
Join Microsoft Teams Meeting
We look forward to connecting with all our families this week at Parent-Teacher. When I talked to many of the students today they were feeling a bit dejected at the cancellation of some of their out of school activities. I hope families can take some time to connect and enjoy some outdoor fun. Let's all do our best to stay strong and get through the next two weeks!
(Hidden) About this blog
Welcome to SharePoint Blogs. Use this space to provide a brief message about this blog or blog authors. To edit this content, select "Edit Page" from the "Site Actions" menu.