Our school does not have a cafeteria facility. Students are welcome to:
- stay at school during the lunch break
- eat lunch in the hallways on benches, in the Learning Commons, or outside
- access local businesses at lunch
As part of a healthy school culture we promote eating habits that are nutritional. As such, we encourage students to bring a healthy lunch from home, and only eat at McDonald’s and 7/11 as a treat every now and then.
Food & Beverages
The CBE and SJAM School support access to healthy, nutritional food choices for students. As a student it is your responsibility to select and model healthy food and beverage choices. All students bringing food and beverages into the school must meet the followings expectations:
- Energy drinks (e.g. Monster, Red Bull etc.) and non-alcoholic beer and wine are not allowed on school property and will be immediately confiscated and disposed of.
- All student beverages entering the school must be less than 2 litres and have a re-sealable twist top that can be firmly closed and stored safely in your locker.
- Students are not permitted to bring ice cream cones, milkshakes, sundaes, hot drinks, Slurpee’s, fountain drinks etc. into the school.
We are very fortunate to partner with “Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids” to offer SJAM EATS, which provides free healthy lunches for students who would otherwise go hungry. SJAM EATS is located in Student Services and is open Monday to Thursday from 12:30 pm -12:45 pm. Remember: if you have food at home, do pack yourself a lunch. The food supply that we receive is limited and explicitly targeted for students and families in need.
As a number of our students have severe allergies to nuts, including peanuts, we are an Allergy Aware school. We ask for your support in protecting students with allergies by not sending foods containing tree nuts or peanuts to school. For more information about this and other health concerns see our Illness & Medical page.