Technology & Social Media
Technology is an integral part of our student’s lives and with this increased influence, new literacies are required. As a school we seek to develop these literacies through task design, guest speakers, and targeted Digital Citizenship lessons. As a student, you will have access to school technology (e.g. laptops, desktops, iPads) when required and/or available.CBE Administrative Regulation 1062
outlines how we use of technology for learning, and as a student you are responsible for:
- accessing only those resources for which you have been authorized
- not accessing resources for others, or ask others to access resources for you
- ensuring that your password is kept private and not shared
- making sure that inappropriate material is not accessed, stored, or distributed
- ensuring that security systems are not intentionally bypassed and evidence of inappropriate activities are not deleted
- not engaging in hacking or other illegal activities.
As a student, your use of technology (school and student owned) must meet the following expectations:
- Your teacher has indicated or you have advocated that the use of technology is acceptable.
- Your use of technology supports your learning in relation to the Alberta Program of Studies.
- Your use of technology/websites (e.g. social media) will not be used to bully and/or intimidate others.
- Your parent/guardian is aware of what sites you have signed up for and discussed the risks of improper use (e.g. identity theft, legal implications).
- You respect other members of the learning community’s privacy by not recording or photographing others without explicit permission.
Cell Phones & Personal Devices
Personal devices such as cell phones, earbuds, headphones etc., are not permitted in our classrooms. If you bring your personal devices, you are expected to leave them in your locker during school time. This includes time when you are working on projects in the hallway, travel times from class to class, in the Learning Commons or Student Services. You are welcome to use your cell phone before school, during lunch, and after school. Students can also check their cell phones at their locker only during the nutrition break.
- Using your cell phone for calling is not permitted inside the building. Should you and your parent/guardian need to contact each other, please come to the main office or ask your classroom teacher to use a school phone.
- Due to FOIP and privacy concerns, never use your cell phone to take photographs or digital recordings of staff or students on school property during school hours.
- Cell phones and other devices with recording applications are not permitted in bathrooms and change rooms.
The school will not be responsible for any lost or stolen items that you bring to school. It is your responsibility to keep anything you bring to school secure.
When students are not meeting the above expectations, our progressive student discipline process will be applied. This may result in:
- Asking student to return device to their locker.
- Asking students to check their device into the Main Office for a specific amount of time.
- Calling parent/guardian to come to the school to pick up the device.
- Suspending student from bringing device to school.