Attendance Line: 403-289-9241 ext. 1
Parents or guardians are asked to phone the attendance line at 403-289-9241, ext. 1 prior to 1:00 PM on the day of the absence. Please provide the following information:
- Student’s Name: spell the last name
- ID number
- Reason for absence,
- Time of the absence
- Who is calling
- If missing a quiz or exam – the name of the teacher
When a student is absent on the day of a scheduled evaluation, parents are requested to contact the teacher directly before the time of the scheduled examination or leave a message on the teacher’s voicemail indicating the reason for the absence 403-289-9241).
There is a direct relationship between attendance and success in school. (CBE Administrative Regulation 6020 - Attendance of Students) If any problems arise, conversations between concerned parties need to happen.
- Teacher / Student – Any concerns of student attendance or tardiness will be discussed first with the student.
- Teacher / Parent – If a concerning pattern continues teachers will contact parents to discuss absences.
- Teacher / Administration – If attendance or tardiness continues to be unacceptable the student will be referred to their administrator.
- Administration / Student / Parent – Administrators will discuss the issues with students and parents. School administrators may suspend any student whose attendance or tardiness is problematic.
- Parent / School – In cases of prolonged absence from school due to medical problems or emergent situations, parents are requested to contact the school.
Automated Phone System and Email Notification
In order to maintain good communication between the school and home we use an automated phone system and email notification system to inform parents about unexplained absences. If parents have questions about the absences, please contact the main office during regular school hours. Subscribe to receive school messages.
Missed Exams & Presentations
If you must miss an exam or presentation, for legitimate reasons, it is your responsibility to have your parents contact the school and the teacher before the time of the exam. Note that just reporting the absence is not adequate for such a situation; to avoid confusion it is best to leave a message in your teacher’s voice mail box. Once you return to the school, the exam or presentation must be completed in a timely manner as determined with your teacher. Failure to comply with these directions may result in a mark of zero for the missed exam or presentation.
Extended leaves will not be considered during the time of scheduled final examinations.
There may be occasions during other school months when students will be away from school for more than three consecutive days. Parents anticipating the absence of a student from school for more than three days (other than for illness) should complete a Request for Personal Extended Leave form and have it returned to the school at least two weeks prior to the commencement of the extended leave. In order to protect evaluation integrity, missed evaluations during this time will not be given other than on the scheduled date. Teachers will exercise their professional discretion in allowing students to make-up any missed assignments, tests or quizzes. Such instances will be made on a case by case basis depending on the circumstances surrounding the leave. Alternatives may include: a parallel evaluation, or an alternate assignment. Based on the information provided by the school and with full knowledge, the decision to proceed with the leave is the responsibility of the students and parents.