Registration for Grade 10 Students entering IB
Students interested in Math and/or Science IB or in a Full Diploma Programme should be registered in Math 10 Cohort IB and Science 10 in the first semester of their Grade 10 year.
If the language of interest is Chinese, the student must begin Chinese 10 Honours with The Chinese Academy at the beginning of Grade 10.
Candidates will apply to the IB programme in November of their Grade 10 year, with Math IB, Biology IB, Physic IB and Business Management IB beginning in the second semester of Grade 10. A second round for IB for Grade 10 students for Grade 10 IB applications takes place in the spring, but is limited to Literature IB, World History IB, Art IB, Chemistry IB, Languages and Computer Science IB.
As the IB programme is designed to be a programme rather than individual courses of enrichment, acceptance into the programme will look at the applicant’s total requests and teacher recommendations. A well-rounded programme will receive priority attention and placement.
Grade 9 Students Registration Guidelines for the IB Program
Students must be living with parents or legal guardians. All Area IB Applications must be accompanied by a transfer request form.
1 | Students living within the boundaries of SWC and attending a CBE Jr High School
( Brentwood (west of Charleswood Dr.), Dalhousie, Edgemont, Hamptons, Sherwood & Varsity)
- Students should be designated to SWC. Please confirm with junior high school.
- Course selections will be done through Jr. High School. Indicate interest in the IB program by selecting IB course preferences.
- Apply for the IB program in November of your Grade 10 year.
Please note: Students within this category attending a special program (Gate or French Immersion) must complete a
Transfer Request Form.
Please enclose a report card (preferably February) and proof of residency (gas or electric bill).
2 | Students living within the boundaries of SWC but not attending a CBE Jr High School
(Example: charter, private, or home school)
Before March 15 complete and submit the following documents to email@example.com
- CBE application for registration
- Canadian Documentation
- Grade 9 report card (preferable February report card)
- Proof of residency - gas or electric bill (if you have any questions please call the main office)
Accepted students complete course selections indicating interest in the IB program by selecting IB course preferences.
Students apply for the IB program in November of your grade 10 year.
3 | Students living outside of boundaries of SWC but within the CBE’s Area 1
Please note: You can check the CBE website - find a school - to confirm your IB school based on the home address.
- Apply to attend SWC with the intent of participating in the IB program through the system IB application process. More information is on the CBE website. You will need to complete the online Transfer Request and Expression of Interest as well as submit your January Grade 9 Report Card.
- The application is only open from Feb. 1 - March 15 of your grade 9 year.
- If you are not attending a CBE junior high, you will also need to complete an online Registration. Registration opens January 16, 2023.
- Accepted students complete course selections indicating interest in the IB program by selecting IB course preferences.
Apply for the IB program in November of your grade 10 year.
4 | Students living outside of the boundaries of CBE’s Area 1
- Students are not eligible to attend the IB program at SWC.
- Contact your junior high school for further information.
Visit the CBE website – Programs – High School Education – IB program, and follow the directions to apply within your district.
Students of the Calgary Catholic School Division should be applying to the IB programs offered by the Calgary Catholic School Board.
For further questions, please call Mrs. Tammy Decock at 403-289-9241 ext. 2415.