*Immersion program students may opt to take French 20 in their Grade 10 year.
French 10 – 5 Credits
This course is intended for students new to the French language and those who have had some exposure to French and want to strengthen their skills. Students will acquire skills sets to continue their development of the French language. Students will be exposed to listening, speaking, reading, and writing through a variety of topics and themes.
French 20 – 5 Credits
Prerequisite: French 10 or Grades 7, 8 and 9 French with a 70% average.
This course continues to develop language skills in the four language areas. The final grade at the end of French 20 will determine whether credits are granted in French 10 and/or 20. Successful completion of this course will make students eligible to participate in a three month exchange trip to Quebec during the Grade 11 year.
A student is ready for French 20 if the following vocabulary and grammatical concepts can be used independently in speaking, listening, reading, and writing:
- verb conjugations:
- avoir, être, faire
- common -er, -ir, -re verbs (regarder, chercher, choisir, finir, vendre, attendre, etc.)
- auxiliairy verbs: vouloir, pouvoir, devoir, aller, aimer, préférer + infinitive
- aller + infinitive
- adjective agreement (gender + number) and placement
- common adverbs
- coordinate conjunctions : et, mais, ou, parce que
- possessive adjectives (mon, ma, mes, ton, ta, tes, etc.)
- question formats
- Est-ce que . . .
- Question format with question words, such as: quand, comment, où, quel(s), quelle(s), (avec) qui, etc.
- articles, demonstrative adjectives, interrogative adjectives
- un, une, des
- le, la, les
- du, de la, des
- ce, cet, cette, ces
- quel, quelle, quels, quelles
- negative and placement of negative with one and two verbs (ne. . . pas, ne . . . jamais)
French 30 – 5 Credits
Prerequisite: French 20 OR Grade 9 French Immersion
This intermediate level course is for students who have successfully completed French 20 or have graduated from the Grade 9 French Language Immersion Program. This course further develops their ability to speak, listen, read, and write in French.
Take part in the 3-month Quebec Exchange Program
See the International Baccalaureate (IB) Courses page for French IB course information.