School-based common final exams and Alberta Education Diploma exams will be scheduled during the last two weeks of each semester. These examinations are compulsory and all students are required to write them. Please see the Exam Device Policy on the Exam Rules & Information page.
The school-based common final examinations can only be written on the scheduled date as per exam schedules published at the end of each semester. Teachers, in consultation with administration, may exempt a student from writing the final exam when extenuating circumstances such as critical illness or bereavement warrant it.
The Alberta Education Diploma examinations cannot be rescheduled but arrangements may be made to write the exam at the next sitting for the exam. The exam schedule will be posted on the school website close to the Parent Teacher Interviews in October and March.
Exam Rules & Information
Device Policy and Examinations
Students must not have a cellphone or other electronic device on their person during a major assessment in any of their classes. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that their devices are both TURNED OFF and NOT ON THEIR PERSON during a major assessment.
Students who are discovered with a cellphone or electronic device on their person during a major assessment, even if it is turned off, will have that test invalidated and a mark of zero assessed. This policy is in keeping with Learn Alberta’s policy regarding diploma exam administration, and it will be enforced at Sir Winston Churchill for all major tests.
Prohibited Items in an Examination
According to Alberta Education, CBE and school policy, having the following objects on your person during a final examination is prohibited. Those caught will be expelled from the exam room immediately and have their mark invalidated (score of zero on the exam).
Any electronic devices including but not limited to:
- Digital Audio Players
- Smart watches
- Electronic organizers
- Hand-held electronic dictionaries
- Any other portable electronic devices
Please leave all of these items in your locker or at home during exam time.
Other items that Sir Winston Churchill will prohibit from allowing in the examination rooms:
- bookbags and backpacks
- books or notes
- calculator covers
Please bring only what is required for the examination.
Things to Bring for your Exam
Use this as a checklist for things to bring:
- Picture ID: needed for ALL exams especially diploma exams
- HB pencils, ideally mechanical to eliminate sharpening
- Pens if writing an essay and if a pen is required or preferred
- Good quality eraser
- Comfortable clothing: Remember that coats are NOT allowed. Wear a sweater if you get cold easily or if you are writing in the gymnasium.
- Bottled water and/or food item in a clear container such as tupperware or a clear bag. Please no nuts or nut products.
- For English Part A exams: You may be allowed the following print resources as long as they are free of any notes or handwriting. This will be checked:
- A print dictionary
- A thesaurus
- For Social Part A exams: You may be allowed the following print resources as long as they are free of any notes or handwriting. This will be checked.
- A print dictionary, so long as it does NOT contain appendices that include social studies content (see below)
- A thesaurus
- For Math and Science exams: rulers, protractors and an approved calculator provided that:
- the calculator is cleared back to original factory settings, free of any extraneous programs or built in notes.
- DO NOT bring your calculator cover. Leave it in your locker or at home
- There are certain programs which are used to conceal information in a calculator. Staff assigned to check calculators know and can detect these programs. ANY ATTEMPT to use a calculator containing these programs will result in that student's final exam being invalidated (given a mark of zero).
The staff of Sir Winston Churchill wishes our students all the best as you prepare and take your examinations. Study hard and good luck!!