Sir Winston Churchill High School
Graduation Newsletter is linked on right hand side
Ceremony | Friday, May 26, 2023
- Location: University of Calgary - Jack Simpson Gymnasium
- Time: Ceremony will begin at 8:30 am SHARP
- Parking: Pay parking lots available on the university campus
Friday May 26th in the Jack Simpson Gymnasium at the University of Calgary – the ceremony will begin promptly at 8:30am
**Grads should arrive no later than 7:45am to ensure that they are lined up in alphabetical order by 8:15am. Grads must be wearing their grad gown/cap/tassel
**Grad gowns will be collected immediately after the closing of the graduation ceremony
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek" -Barack Obama
- The room numbers are where the students can find their reader to confirm the pronunciation of their names.
- Ms. B. Giannoutsos A – H Room 224 or 232
- Mr. M. Irving I – O Room 112
- Mr. A. Fitz P – Z Room 231
- For the ceremony, students will be wearing blue graduation gowns and blue caps with a gold 2023 tassel. Students MUST wear their gowns and caps in order to cross the stage during the ceremony.
- The ceremony is a formal event; therefore, students should dress in semi-formal attire. As a result, you should NOT wear jeans, T-shirts, sneakers, flip-flops or hats. Consider wearing comfortable but professional footwear, as you will be walking up a ramp, across a stage and down some stairs.
- DO NOT bring purses, cell phones, bags or any other items that you need to carry.
Graduation Rehearsal Assembly:
DATE CHANGE: will now be held on Wednesday May 24th – period 4 @ 10:15am (switched from the original date of Tuesday May 23rd)
**It is important for students to attend this assembly, even if they have a spare during period 4, because there will be important information provided specific to the graduation ceremony
Covid and Safety Protocols:
- Previous mandates (capacity limits, masking, physical distancing) have been lifted by the provincial government
- The use of masks during the ceremony will be an independent choice
Grad Gown and Cap Distribution:
DATE CHANGE: will now be held on Wednesday May 24th – 3:10pm in Cafeteria (switched from the original date of Tuesday May 23rd)
**Grads will be asked to show their current school ID card in order to pick up their grad gowns/caps/tassels – driver’s licenses will NOT be allowed. If you do not have a current school ID, it is your responsibility to get another one from the business office at the cost of $5.00
- Grads will be able to pick up their grad gown and cap on Wednesday May 24, 2023 starting at 3:10pm in the school cafeteria.
- Students must pick up their gowns and caps by 4:00pm on this date.
- Students MUST show their current school ID card in order to pick their items up
- Students are responsible for the care of the grad gown and cap once it has been issued
- The grad gown must be returned immediately after the ceremony has concluded at the U of C on May 26, 2023. At the end of the ceremony, students will be marshalled back to the gowning room where they will return their grad gown. The gowns will be returned back to Gaspard Gowns in Winnipeg after the ceremony.
- If the gown is not returned at this time, the student will be responsible for paying the shipping charges to have the gown sent back to Winnipeg. These charges will also apply to any student who pick up a gown but do not attend the ceremony. If the gown is not returned or is lost, then the student will be charged for the cost of the grad gown.
Since students will have their gowns and caps a few days prior to the graduation ceremony, and will be able to take them home. We encourage the grads to take pictures with family and friends on these days prior to the ceremony because there will not be an opportunity after the ceremony.
Lifetouch Pictures during the Ceremony:
- Two pictures will be taken of each graduand by Lifetouch
- Picture 1 – On stage: As the graduand receives their certificate from Principal Rajan on the stage .
- Picture 2 – Off stage: As the graduate walks off the stage, another picture will be taken.
- Parents will not be allowed to come onto the ceremony floor to take photos of their student.
It is exciting to be back at the University of Calgary to hold our graduation ceremony in person. We are proud of our Churchill grads and we look forward to celebrating your academic achievement.
2023 GRADUATION RECEPTION & DANCE
THEME: "One Night in Hollywood"
DATE: Friday June 2, 2023
TIME: Doors Open at 7:00 pm to Midnight - this will be a closed event so doors will close at 8:00pm
VENUE: Westin Hotel Ballroom (downtown location)
320- 4 Avenue SW
TICKETS: Ticket price & online ticket sales
- First Round of Ticket Sales
- Second Round of Ticket Sales
- Link to Purchase Tickets
- -Wednesday April 26th to Thursday May 11th – this round of ticket sales will be for all grads planning on attending the reception & dance to purchase ONE ticket
- -Friday May 12 th to Wednesday May 17th – this round of ticket sales will be available for grads to purchase an extra ticket for a guest – first come, first served basis until tickets run out. All guests must be approved by SWC administration
This year's graduation reception and dance will be a celebration for our Churchill graduates. Unlike in past years, there will be NO formal sit down banquet dinner or program. Ticket prices for the reception will include appetizers/beverages for the graduates only.
In order to help make this celebration a success for our graduates, we will be looking for parent volunteers to help chaperone this celebration. In the spring, we will be asking parents interested in chaperoning to sign-up. Stay tuned for more information in the New Year!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of the Graduation Committee staff members: