School Access and Sign-In
Somerset School works diligently to ensure that it is a safe place to learn and work. To this end, many precautionary measures, in accordance with Alberta Occupational Health and Safety, as well as, CBE policies and regulations have been implemented. To ensure the safety of all Somerset School students and staff, please be aware of the following:
- All doors are locked at all times.
- All guests, volunteers and parents must use the front entrance to enter the school, then report to and sign in at the office
- The main front door of the school, by the main office, is open:
- Monday to Thursday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and
- Friday 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM
- All volunteers, after signing in, must obtain and display a volunteer tag for the duration of the school visit.
- Parents picking up students for appointments must register and wait for their child at the office. Students will come to parents/ guardians and meet them at the office..
- The parent/guardian is responsible for signing out their student in the school office. Students cannot be signed out by anyone who is not on the student’s Emergency Contact List and even then we must have a parent/guardian’s consent.
- When picking up or dropping off students, we ask that parents wait for students at the school’s main entrance.
The office staff is available to support you in any of your inquiries and in ensuring that your child gets to class safely. We are asking that Parents/Guardians wait outside the school, at designated doors, to drop off and to receive children during entry and dismissal times.
1st Class Child Care and Kindergarten Care
The 1st Class Child Care and Kindergarten Care program entrance is at the north doors of the school which face the playground. They have their own doorbell that parents can use when dropping off and picking up their children for the Child Care Programs.
Your child is expected to use their designated entrance to avoid congestion in our hallways and to allow the front entrance to be utilized by visitors, parents, and those students who arrive after their entrance is locked. Student entrances will be opened at 8:15 AM during school days.
Irregular Dismissal of Students
When picking up students for appointments during regular school hours, parents/ guardians are expected to come directly to the school office upon entry into the school. Office staff will then call the classroom.
Students will be dismissed from their classrooms and will meet with their parents/ guardians at the office. Parents/ guardians then sign their child(ren) out in the office. In the event someone other than the parent is picking up students, the school must be notified in advance.
Student Custody, Court Orders & other Documentation
Please inform the school of any custodial issues. We require a copy of all legal documents for your child's file.
Sending Children Home
Children will not be sent home during school hours, for any reason, unless a parent has been contacted and permission given to an adult at the school.
Students will phone home after school if they are being detained for more than 5 minutes.