Inspiration| Apprendre à s’élever/ Learning to Soar
As we embark on a new school year, let's remember that our journey here is about more than just academics; it is all about learning to soar. Just like the breathtaking eagles that grace the skies, we have the power to rise above challenges, spread our wings of curiosity, and explore the limitless horizons of knowledge. With each lesson, friendship, and discovery, we are crafting our own flight path towards success. So, let's embrace every opportunity, support one another's flights, and let the spirit of learning carry us to heights we've only dreamed of. Here's to a year filled with growth, inspiration, and the joy of soaring at Sundance School!
- The first day of classes for students is Thursday, August 31, 2023. This will be a full day of classes for Grades 1-6. Please see our school website for a complete outline of our school hours Sundance School Calendars
- New this year. Our morning bell rings at 7:55 am for a soft entry to the school, and instruction starts at 8:00 am the same as last year. Please note that student supervision outside continues to start at 7:45 am and no supervision is provided before that time. Doors are locked at 8:00 am and any students arriving after this time will need to come through the main doors to check in at the office. School finishes at 2:36 pm Monday to Thursday and at 11:40 am on Fridays
- Kindergarten Introductory Sessions are Thursday, Aug. 31 and Friday Sept. 1. Please refer to your welcome package/email to confirm the time for your Kindergarten session
- Check out our Back-to-School Information on the Sundance School Website for all the information to get you set up for the first day of school: Back to School Information
Staffing Updates and Class Configurations:
- We are so happy to welcome Mme Julie Wong (Grade 2), Mme Jennifer Page (Grade 3), Mme Lauren Richards (Kindergarten), Mme Andrea Sulek (Grade 1), Mme Nicoleta Vulcu (Grade 5), Mme Natalie Zborowski (Grade 4 temporary position covering Mme Allie Roy). Welcome also to our new Assistant Principal Heather White. Please see Mme Heather’s introductory letter below this message
- With our increasing enrolment we have been able to staff the following homerooms: 4 Kindergarten, 4 Grade One, 4 Grade Two, 3 Grade Three, 3 Grade Four, 3 Grade Five, and 2 Grade Six. Please see our school website for current staff details: Our Staff
Homeroom Teachers and Class Assignments:
- Families will receive a school messenger email notification from homeroom teachers on August 30 after 12:00 pm. This information will include an introductory letter as well as which doors children should use to enter and exit the building
- All staff will be outside on the first days for supervision and will be there to help direct you and your child. Please plan to say goodbye to your child outside the school as parents will not be permitted to accompany children into the school
Drop Off/ Pick Up :
- Please be aware that the Bus Zone in front of the school is reserved for bus drop off and pick up only. If you are walking your child to an outside entrance, a reminder that there is parking available outside Sundance Lake or further south on Sunmills Drive. Parking and drop-off/ pick-up is not permitted in the Staff Parking Lot or in the Bus Zone to ensure safety for our students and families
Communication/ Upcoming Dates:
- Email communication from the school will be sent weekly and classroom email communication will be indicated by classroom teachers
- Please see our School Website with many upcoming dates such as Parent Teacher Conferences and School Picture Day. Our school calendar is updated regularly and a great place to ensure you are aware of upcoming events: School Calendar
Friday, Sept. 15
- Sundance School Welcome Back Breakfast for families, more information to follow
- Parent/ Teacher Conferences 3:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Parent/ Teacher Conferences 8:00 am -12:00 pm
- Non-Instructional Day – No School for Students
- Terry Fox Run (Details TBA)
- School Council Meeting 6:30 pm
- Non-Instructional Day – No School for Students in lieu of National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (September 30)
We are all looking forward to this week and seeing everybody soon!
Sundance School Administration
Mme Heather White’s Introductory Message to Sundance families:
Dear Sundance School Community,
I am thrilled to introduce myself as the new Assistant Principal at Sundance School. With 19 years of experience in teaching elementary French Immersion, I am excited to bring my passion for language education to this wonderful school. Throughout my career, I have not only fostered a love for the French language but have also developed a strong expertise in mathematics and early literacy. My most recent role supporting the French Immersion program as the System learning leader for French Immersion has set me up to support teaching and learning at Sundance School.
As a passionate advocate for French Immersion education, and as a graduate of the CBE French Immersion program, I firmly believe in the power of language to unlock opportunities and broaden horizons for our students. I hold a B.A/B.Ed. in French and a M.Ed. in School Leadership and Mathematics for Teaching.
I am truly excited about the chance to collaborate with the remarkable educators at Sundance school to further enhance the educational experience for our students.
Thank you for this incredible opportunity to be a part of the Sundance community. I am eager to meet you, share ideas, and work collaboratively to create an enriching and inspiring educational atmosphere.
Please introduce yourselves as we cross paths! You can call me Mme Heather.