Volunteering at Sunnyside
We are looking forward to welcoming volunteers back to Sunnyside School! Volunteers are an integral part of our Kindergarten to Grade 6 educational programs and special events.
If you would like to join our team of volunteers and have a current Police Information Check, please fill out the annual volunteer registration form. If you are unsure of whether your Police Information Check is up to date, please contact the school office. If you are a new volunteer, please call the school office or email us at Sunnyside@cbe.ab.ca to find out what steps to take.
Note: Volunteers must have a Security Clearance form approved and returned to the school before being permitted to volunteer in the school or on field trips.
All Volunteers Must:
- Sign in at the school office
- Wear a volunteer tag during volunteer times
- Read and agree to follow the guidelines outlined in the Sunnyside School Volunteer Handbook and on the CBE Annual Volunteer Registration Form (find it under Links)
Insurance Coverage for Volunteers
A volunteer is someone who voluntarily offers time and expertise to a school and is working under the direct authority of the principal and/or supervision of a school administrator or teacher. This includes individuals helping out on off-site activities, photocopying in the office, assisting a teacher in the classroom or helping with extracurricular activities.
Volunteers are included as insured individuals under the CBE’s General Liability policies only when they are acting within the scope of their duties. In other words, coverage is there while they are participating in a school approved and supervised activity. The CBE does not carry benefits, accident or medical insurance for personal injuries to volunteers, except as follows:
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment for volunteer drivers. This type of insurance provides a stated amount to be paid to the victim of an automobile accident, depending on the injury sustained.
- Volunteers are not covered under Workers’ Compensation except under specific circumstances. The exception being for volunteers working in construction of renovation type projects under the formal guidance of the CBE Maintenance Department.
Volunteers are not permitted to bring other children along with them on any field trip or when volunteering in classroom.