Drop-Off and Pick-Up of Students
When dropping-off or picking up students, please remember:
- Do not walk in the parking lot
- Do not drive into the parking lot
- Do not drop children off in the parking lot
- Do not make U-turns in the middle of the road
- Police are issuing unsafe U-turn tickets
- Do not drop children off in the middle of the road
- park before asking children to get out of the car
- J-Walking is a $57.00 fine
Safety - A Shared Responsibility
- When approaching an intersection or crosswalk watch out for pedestrians.
- Watch for vehicles stopped or slowing in the lane next to yours, as they may be yielding to a pedestrian.
- Failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk carries a fine of $575 plus 4 demerit points.
- Stay alert and slow down on residential roads and through school and playground zones.
- Check for pedestrians when turning.
- Don’t stop in crosswalks when dropping off or picking up students.
- Adults and children should use the Point, Pause and Proceed method when they want to cross the road and drivers should pay attention for people using this technique.
- Pointing indicates to drivers that a pedestrian wants to cross.
- All drivers should be aware that when a pedestrian has his or her arm pointed across the road, it means all vehicles are to come to a complete stop.
- Pausing means pedestrians should make eye contact with drivers and wait until traffic has stopped before stepping off the curb.
- Pedestrians should never assume that a driver sees them.
- Pedestrians should only proceed when it is safe to do so by keeping their arm extended in front of them as they cross the road and watching for vehicles.
- Be seen! Wear bright coloured or reflective clothing, especially when walking in low light or in poor weather. Distraction is dangerous.
- Put away cell phones and take off ear buds before crossing a street.
- Walk bikes, scooters and skateboards across the street.