The Circle of Courage
The Circle of Courage is based on a North American traditional native culture and emphasizes four core values: Belonging, Generosity, Mastery, and Independence.
At Taradale School, we support and help our students as they develop their personal beliefs and intrinsic motivations, which will influence the choices they make and the behaviours they exhibit throughout their lifetime. The Circle of Courage and its four core values guide this important work with our students.
Belonging: All people need a positive, strong sense of attachment. Children develop this through safe, trusting relationships in the home, school and community.
Generosity: As human beings, we sense joy from the unconditional giving to others. As teachers and parents,
we encourage generosity through positive and supportive interactions.
Mastery: We need a sense of competence in one or more domains to feel a sense of self-worth and a desire to set further goals. As teachers and parents, it is important that we provide varied opportunities for meaningful activities building on children’s diverse strengths and interests.
Independence: People need to be able to make healthy, positive, autonomous choices. As teachers and parents,
we can provide safe opportunities for children to make appropriate choices. This will help them develop self-confidence, self-discipline and positive leadership.
Combined Grades 1/2 and 3/4
- Combined grades support students’ rights to have their individual needs met. Extra help and enrichment can be woven into daily activities without calling attention to student differences;
- Academic achievement of students in a combined grade classroom remains consistent or improves;
- Combined grade classrooms, in which the same teacher and students stay together for two years, supports the development of deep relationships and in-depth understanding of students;
- Positive student relationships within a combined grade classroom are developed across grade levels;
- Older students deepen their understanding of concepts when they act as mentors to younger students;
- Younger students feel secure and nurtured, while many older children develop socially and emotionally through the opportunity for leadership and responsibility; and
- Research indicates that self-esteem is high in combined grade classrooms and that students have positive views of themselves as learners.
Research findings support combined grades as an effective approach to promoting students’ academic and social growth. It is one strategy that can be used to create conditions in which learning flourishes.
Whole-School Language Arts
Students will listen, speak, read, write, view and represent to:
- Explore thoughts, ideas, feelings and experiences;
- Comprehend and respond personally and critically to oral, print and other media texts;
- Manage ideas and information;
- Enhance the clarity and artistry of communication; and
- Respect, support and collaborate with others.
The Balanced-Literacy at Taradale School includes focus on reading and writing.
Through reading, students will participate in:
- Modeled reading
- Shared reading
- Guided reading
- Independent reading at school and home
- Word study
Through writing, will participate in:
- Modeled writing
- Shared writing
- Guided writing
- Independent writing at school and at home
- Word study
Friday Early Dismissals and Professional Days
Every Friday early dismissal afternoon begins with a staff meeting for all teachers and support staff. This is an excellent opportunity for the whole staff to all meet together in creating hopes and dreams for Taradale School and in developing goals for the school year. The rest of the afternoons are dedicated to professional learning, system work and professional learning communities.
The support for Friday Early Dismissals continues to be appreciated! The time to meet, work and dream together with the whole staff is invaluable. Teachers also meet in Professional Learning Communities, on Friday afternoons, to create student learning goals and to focus on inquiry related to the Literacy School Development Goal. We continue to thank our Taradale community for adjusting your schedules to accommodate Friday early dismissals.
View our calendar page to see schedule for early dismissal and professional days.