Terrace Road School is located in the northwest community of Montgomery. Our school is a dynamic and caring place to learn. We are a diverse, inclusive and welcoming school community. Student learning is paramount and we believe we can achieve our best work when we do it together. You are invited to learn more about TRS by exploring our website.
Our school is organized around seven classrooms. We have a morning Kindergarten program. Our grade one to six classrooms are organized into; a grade 1 class, two grade 2/3 classes, a Division II Paced Learning (PLP II) class, a grade 4/5 class and a grade 5/6 class. At the completion of Grade 6 students move to FE Osborne School and then to Bowness High School.
In our PLP II class, students from across Area I schools are bussed to the Division II Paced Learning Program. We have a teacher and two educational assistants assigned to work with students with special learning needs.
We are a Calgary Reads school and literacy is a strong component of our school programming. The City of Calgary supports our students with after school programs twice a week. Almost all of the students who attend Terrace Road come to us from the communities of Montgomery and Bowness and walk to and from school each day.
Summit Kids, a business offering before and after-school care, leases space in the building and provide services to local families whose children attend Terrace Road School. The University Heights Preschool also leases space in our building providing services to families from several communities through preschool programs.
Terrace Road School History
Terrace Road school was built in 1952 and named after the road that ran adjacent to the property at the time. In 1958 the streets were renamed to allow them to conform to the naming conventions of the City of Calgary. Montgomery was still an independent town at this time. The town name and many of the street names had been chosen by James Shouldice, the original founder of the community. Montgomery, named after Field Marshall Montgomery of Alamein, was annexed, at its request, by the City of Calgary in 1963.