We all care about working together to keep our school safe place for everyone.
- All adults who are not members of our school staff must sign in to the building and wear a TRS guest/volunteer name tag or a CBE name tag.
- Our school compound is a great place to meet.
- The school parking lot is off limits for pick up, drop off or walking.
- Parents, guardians and family members are asked to wait for students outside the school at dismissal time.
- If you need to pick up a student before school is dismissed or drop off a student later due to an appointment then you must check in at the office and wait for your student at the office.
- We have a Park and Walk strategy at TRS. If you are dropping off your student you can park on 47th Street. There is only bus parking at the front of the school. You can drop your student off and have them enter the school through one of the two gates. In this way, children can start and end their day with a short walk. Parking on the school side of the street will allow children to safely reach the sidewalk and not cross the street.
When the dismissal bell rings all students except for EDC students will exit out the doors to the compound area.
Only EDC students will exit out the front doors.
Visitors & Guests Sign-In
We ask all visitors (including parents/siblings/caregivers) to report to the office and wait there rather than heading to other areas of the school during class time. To ensure safety we must know if visitors are in our school. Thank you for helping us with this request.
If you are visiting or volunteering you will need to sign in and out at the office and wear a Terry the Tiger Volunteer/Visitor tag while you are in the school.
Volunteers are most welcome at Terrace Road School. Volunteers are required to apply for Police Information Clearance by coming into the office to start the process. See more on our Volunteer page.
During class time, all exterior doors except the front door are locked for security reasons. Parents and caregivers need to enter the school through the main entrance on 21st Ave. We have an intercom system at the front entrance. This bell only rings in the office. If no one answers, wait a few minutes and ring again. If no one answers and it is before or after school hours you can go to the entrance at the parking lot and ring the bell at that door; this bell rings throughout the school. Please do not use the parking lot doorbell during school time.
Parents who are coming in to the school to drop off or pick up children are asked to wait just inside the main entrance of the school until their children come to the front entry
School Ground Rules
During school hours:
- Our schoolyard (compound, creative playground and field) is for the use of our students and staff;
- When a group of students is outside under the direction of a staff member (gym, recess, lunch, outdoor lessons and so on) the schoolyard is for their use only, and;
- When students are not outside, the creative playground may be used by community children, under the supervision of an adult.
Please make sure the office is advised of any custody arrangements you have regarding your child. Any documentation regarding custody is required to be on file in our office.
Emergency School Closure
It may happen that the school could be closed during regular school hours for certain unforeseeable reasons (major snow storm, water main break, power failure, fire etc.) and children may have to be sent home. Our website, the CBE website, and the news media will post notifications of these emergency closures. In the event that you are not home at the time, it is important that you review procedures with your child so he/she would know what to do in case of an emergency school closure.
Each year in accordance with CBE policy, we have at least six emergency drills and two lockdown practices (internal or external) per school year. All people in the building must participate in the drill. Students must have indoor footwear for this reason. Children will be supervised until parents or guardians are contacted and a designated person arrives to pick them up.