At Terrace Road we are taking action to reduce our environmental footprint. Recycling is an important part of learning at our school. It is very important that we use all our resources responsibly and sort carefully. Mixed paper will be collected in the large blue bins in the lower foyer and in classroom bins.
All bottle/drink containers that are accepted at bottle depots (deposit paid when purchased) will be collected in bins in the hallways. Everyone is asked to drain the drink containers and remove straws and pull-tabs before placing containers into the bins. Reusable drink containers are great alternatives to single use and recyclable containers. We also compost material based on current standards.
As a school community we are working towards:
- Bringing “litterless lunches”
- Paperless activities
- Turning lights/computers off when leaving
- Not idling our cars while waiting
- Reducing what we use
- Reusing materials whenever we can
- Recycling everything else
- Composting our food waste
- Teaching others how to take care of our world
- Keeping our playground litter free
Friendships and Futures at Terrace Road School
We support Socialized Play
- Alternative recess and lunch breaks
- Diverse and direct play support
- Ability and developmental groupings for structured gym classes
- Support Plans for students that require further help and guidance
- Behaviour and Support Worker
- Social stories
- Emotional regulation and communication
- Role playing
- Several staff have Therapeutic Crisis Intervention training
- Staff with current ASSIST training for suicide first aid
- School-based mental health support and consultation
- Teachers and support staff are given time and space to connect and work with different groups of students
- Connecting families and community resources
- Extracurricular: Hockey Heroes, Lead Kidz, Kick Start, Run Club, Communication Club, Card Club, Math Club
- Understanding and learning around differences in our neighbourhood and learning community.
- Inclusive learning environments where we work and learn together.
- Literacy support: Calgary Reads, Wee Reads, Word Play
- Adapted and modified programming to provide success for every student.
- Online safety and digital citizenship
- S4 school curriculum supported by Calgary Police Services