Terrace Road School Admirable Use Policy (AUP)
Students at Terrace Road School are expected to be responsible digital citizens who demonstrate citizenship through an understanding of personal and civic responsibility. If not demonstrating the above expectations, disciplinary measures may result as outlined in related CBE administrative regulations.Students are encouraged to use technology to:
- Access, critically assess, and communicate information and understanding
- Seek alternative viewpoints
- Collaborate during inquiry
- Construct personal knowledge and meaning
- Demonstrate understandings
- Organize and manipulate data
- Interact with others
Our Admirable Use policy positively describes the ways in which we expect Terrace Road School students to use digital devices for learning. Inappropriate uses of digital devices and/or our network within Terrace Road School as per CBE regulations are also described.Students will use devices and/or our network to:
The following activities are examples (not limited to) of inappropriate use for students or staff:
- Demonstrate their understanding of learning outcomes in creative and thoughtful ways.
- Learn how to communicate in the same manner that is asked of them in face-to-face communications.
- Share their learning with their families and the wider community.
- Support self-paced and just-in-time learning.
- Think critically and build a wide variety of literacy skills.
- Explore questions in relation to learning and life.
- Find rich and reliable sources of information and to learn how to cite and share these sources.
- Practice and learn digital etiquette in a responsible, respectful manner.
- Have fair access to an electronic society in age appropriate ways
- Support their understanding of new digital technologies.
- Work in a manner that protects their own and other’s privacy, safety and freedom of thought.
- Work in a manner that protects the health and wellness of themselves and others.
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures
- Intentionally damaging computer equipment or the network
- Intentionally destroying other people’s work
- Employing the CBE network for commercial purposes
- Using obscene language
- Harassing, insulting, or attacking others
- Storing and using information for cheating
- Intentionally wasting system technology on non-teacher-approved activities such as:
- Downloading software or restricted files
- Installing software on any school computer
- Excessive or inappropriate printing
We agree to demonstrate the following characteristics of good digital citizenship:
- I will keep my CBE account passwords and other personal information confidential.
- I will practice responsible conduct and digital etiquette.
- I will inform my teacher if something on an electronic device makes me feel uncomfortable or is inappropriate.
- I will respect the property, personal information and the creative work of others.
- I will leave the school equipment so that it is ready to be used by others.
- I will use technology responsibly and for the purpose of learning.
- I will work with my teacher to decide how technology will be utilized to support my learning.