At Tom Baines School, the safety and security of our students is paramount. We expect students to take responsibility for their behaviours, help others, and take ownership of the three Rs (Respect Yourself, Respect Others, Respect This Place). We strive to develop responsible, respectful citizens who achieve individual success and contribute positively to our school, our community, and our world.
Specific Behaviours Expected of Tom Baines Students
- Be on time to school and class
- All backpacks must be kept in lockers. Allowances can be made for medical purposes, after consultation with administration
- Try your best; take ownership of your learning. Advocate for your learning needs
- Be polite, courteous and respectful of the rights of others. Model positive behavior both in class and during breaks.
- Cooperate with all staff
- Comply with all school and CBE rules, regulations, and expectations
Suspension, Expulsion, Police Involvement
Dependent upon the seriousness or duration of the situation, and in accordance with Administrative Regulation 6006 – Progressive Student Discipline, a principal can suspend a student for up to 5 days or recommend expulsion from the school. The following situations are examples that could result in out of school suspension, request for expulsion or police involvement:
- Fights, assaults, and/or physical interference
- Threats or other severely disruptive behavior
- Defiance – refusing to follow an adult’s request
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes), drug use, or the consumption of alcohol on school property.
- Use or possession of weapons
Students may not possess weapons and/or look-alikes, alcoholic beverages, narcotics, over the counter medications, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, tobacco products, recording devices, laser pointers, lighters, matches, or any items that are offensive, or potentially dangerous in nature (this includes the throwing of snow balls). Students must not bring any items to school for the use of gambling or for the intention of selling to other students for their own personal profit.