Humanities is the combined study of Language Arts and Social. Study in English Language Arts (ELA) enables students to use language confidently and competently in a variety of situations for communicating, personal satisfaction and learning. Students become confident and competent users of language arts through many opportunities to listen and speak, read and write, and view and represent in a variety of combinations and relevant contexts.
Social studies provides opportunities for students to develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge that will enable them to become engaged, active, informed and responsible citizens. Recognition and respect for individual and collective identity is essential in a pluralistic and democratic society. Social studies helps students develop their sense of self and community, encouraging them to affirm their place as citizens in an inclusive, democratic society.
At each grade level students:
- explore how to use language to explore, construct and extend their understanding of ideas
- develop, organize and express ideas
- manage and evaluate information
- make connections through speaking and listening
- represent ideas through a variety of media
- explore events and issues from a variety of view points
- demonstrate skills and processes for inquiry and research
- communicate ideas in an informed and persuasive manner