Students, staff and guests can connect to the internet at our school via our wireless service.
There is no expectation that students must bring in or have their own device and those students who do not have a personal device to use in our school will continue to have access to other learning technologies.
Our students’ safety in an online environment is of utmost importance to us and learning how to be a good Digital Citizen will increase your child’s awareness and understanding of the power and perils of the internet. We believe it will undoubtedly enhance their learning opportunities.
The use of personal devices in our school will be at the absolute discretion of our staff members at all times and our students will be asked to respect this expectation.
The use of the Wi-Fi service in our school will be to leverage our students’ abilities to:
- Access, critically assess and communicate information and understanding
- Seek alternative viewpoints
- Collaborate during inquiry
- Personalize their learning
- Construct personal knowledge and meaning
- Personalize their understanding
- Organize and manipulate data
- Interact with other learners
Students will not have access to school servers or printers through the Wi-Fi service. As such they will need to use their Google Drive folder, D2L storage lockers or purchase and use a USB device to transfer files to the school network. No software will be provided to students. School classes may use software applications that the student does not have on their device.
The following activities are prohibited and will be addressed on an individual basis as needed:
- Use of someone else’s CBE account or access to the Wi-Fi service
- Sharing of usernames and passwords for other people to use
- Sending, posting, displaying or using obscene language/messages or pictures or information about oneself or others
- Harassing, insulting or attacking another person or their reputation
- Viewing websites through a proxy server
- Plagiarism of online content
- Texting or gaming
- Tampering with any computer accessories, hardware or software
- Use of technology or accessing sites not approved by staff
- Trespassing in other’s folders, work areas or files
- Utilizing another student’s device without permission
- Recording of teachers and students during classes
The following sites are prohibited from use:
- Vulgar or lewd depictions of the human body
- Any adult content
- Violent acts
- Online gambling
- Social networking sites (such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat etc.)
- Sites that encourage the use of illicit or illegal substances
- Sites that advocate hatred or violence against an identifiable group
- Sites promoting criminal activity
- Non-educational games
Our expectation is that our students will become educated and responsible Digital Citizens. If however, students breach any of the above, each situation will be dealt with on an individual basis and may result in:
- Restriction or loss of technology privileges which will include email and by default D2L.
- Restriction of use of or confiscation of personal device
- School based disciplinary consequences such as suspension: and/or
- Police intervention and/or legal action
Lastly, it is important that parents/guardians and students remember the following:
- The school is not responsible for the loss, damage, or theft of student electronic devices.
- The school is not able to provide technical support for student devices.
- Devices can only be used when students are under the direct supervision of a teacher in an approved area of the school.
- Devices can only be used for educational purposes.
- Misuse will be determined by the staff and administration.
We view Digital Citizenship as a shared responsibility between students, their families and the school. We appreciate families taking time to discuss this opportunity with their children and supporting the work of the school in moving it forward.
Vincent Massey is a school that places high value on respect and safety. For these reasons, the use of cell phones is NOT permitted during class time. When students arrive at school, they are expected to put their phone in their locker. Students may use their cell phone at lunch, but not in between classes. Students who have these items are asked to accept total responsibility for their appropriate use and security.
- Cell phones are not allowed in the locker rooms for obvious privacy protection concerns. Cell phones found in the Phys. Ed. locker rooms will be confiscated and parents will be contacted. Parents will then be expected to pick up the cell phones from the school administration.