An overview of the band program at Vincent Massey can be found below. More detailed information is provided in the following handbook. Updates will be provided throughout the year through Google Classroom, School Messenger, and this webpage.
- Sept. 28, 2023 Band Program Info Night, VMMPA AGM, Band Camp Mandatory Meeting
- Oct. 3, 2023 Beginner Band Clinic
- Oct. 23-25, 2023 Grade 8/9 Band Camp
- Nov. 3, 2023 Performance at Ernest Manning High School
- Nov. 8, 2023 Remembrance Day performance
- Dec. 4, 2023 Performance at the Jubilee Auditorium with Central Memorial High School
- Dec. 14, 2023 Winter Concert at Vincent Massey School
- Feb. 1, 2023 Open House Performance
- Feb. 9, 2023 Grade 6 Tours Performance
- Feb/Mar Alberta International Band Festival (Dates TBD)
- Feb/Mar Grade 7 Band Camp (Dates TBD)
- Mar. 8, 2023 Big Band Cabaret Performance at Ernest Manning High School
- May 16, 2023 Final Concert at Vincent Massey School
Ensembles and Performances
Grade 9 Band - Consists of Grade 9 students. This group pursues musical challenges and excellence within the Grade 2/3 music level.
Grade 8 Band - Consists of Grade 9 students. This group pursues musical challenges and excellence within the Grade 1/2 music level.
Grade 7 Band - Consists mainly of students from the Grade 7 level, with extra students added due to instrumentation or development. The basics of performance etiquette along with instrumental technique are pursued through challenging and rewarding literature.
Senior Jazz Band - The premier jazz ensemble at Vincent Massey. This ensemble pursues challenging literature from a number of different genres, including swing, Latin, funk, and rock. There are also opportunities provided for improvisation, basic jazz theory, and jazz history. The ensemble is formed from interested students currently enrolled in the Grade 8 & 9 Band Classes in early October each year.
Concerts, Camps, Festivals, and Tours
The Vincent Massey Music Program attends multiple concerts, camps, tours, and festivals throughout the year. Each band performs multiple times throughout the year at different venues within Calgary, and outside of Calgary.
Band Camps are musical retreats that afford the Vincent Massey Music Program the opportunity to pursue some intense musical study in a non-distracting environment. Currently the Grade 8’s and 9’s go to Camp Kindle for 3 days, while Grade 7’s may go at a later date for 2 days. This camp includes guest conductors, instrumental clinicians, and other musical opportunities.
There are two big concerts that the Vincent Massey Music Program runs each year. The Winter Concert, usually at the beginning of December, and the Final Concert, near the end of May.
The Vincent Massey Music Program possesses a plethora of musical instruments for the students to use. Students are not required to buy or rent an instrument from an outside source. If they are in band, an instrument will be provided for them for a nominal fee, set by CBE. Extra instruments can be rented dependant on availability.
In grade 7, students generally will be sorted into 2 sections: Woodwinds and Brass. Depending on their class, students will have a choice of several different instruments.
Woodwinds: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon
Brass: Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Baritone/Euphonium, Tuba
Vincent Massey Music Parents Association (VMMPA)
The VMMPA is an integral part of the music program. Our mandate is to support the music program so as to provide an enhanced musical environment for the students. The Association provides the primary source of funds to assist the Music Director's enriched curriculum.
The VMMPA is made up of all the parents/guardians of students currently enrolled in the Vincent Massey music program. Parents are encouraged to become involved as volunteers, to join as a volunteer on the Board of Directors, and to support their students at their performances throughout the year.
The VMMPA meets on a monthly basis to discuss upcoming events.
Volunteer support and fundraising are the main functions of the VMMPA and are vital to maintaining a program of this caliber.
- Expert Music Instruction – Additional clinicians and guest instructors are hired to share their expertise and assist in student learning and development.
- Band Camps / Tour Subsidies – With the philosophy that all band students should be able to participate in all band activities, the VMMPA strives to keep band camp and tour fees at a reasonable level. Fundraising enables us to subsidize the cost of band camps and tours.
Fundraising Commitments – The VMMPA holds several different fundraisers each year. It is strongly encouraged that each student participates in fundraising. All fundraising dollars raised go directly back to the students, including but not limited to, subsidy of band camp / tour fees, busing to events, providing clinicians for small group tutoring, and instrument purchases.