Curriculum and Instruction
An exemplary school facilitates student growth and development to master skills as defined by the Alberta Programs of Studies. Staff will use a variety of instructional approaches to personalize learning for each student. At Vista Heights School, instruction will:
- be based on curricular objectives organized by staff in a purposeful manner
- include rigorous tasks that address differentiated needs
- infuse technology and available resources to support student learning
- include clear criteria for success
- provide ongoing feedback of progress and provide necessary supports for learning
- be based on ongoing academic goals developed by the student,parent/guardian and teacher to move learning forward
It is important for parents to provide children with a specific location and time that would be conducive to successfully complete homework. Homework can become an expected routine. For example, a set time for reading every evening. Try to become actively involved in your child’s homework, and be available to assist if difficulties arise. Please communicate to the teacher in writing, email or by phone if there is a concern with homework. Homework may include: reviewing, completing assignments, and home reading programs.
Grades 1-3: 5-10 minutes each evening is recommended.
Grades 4-6: 10-20 minutes each evening is recommended.
In addition, it is recommended that all students:
- Read just-right books every night (and have your parents read to you too).
- Get outside and play (that does not mean more screen time).
- Eat dinner with your family, and help out with setting and cleaning up.
- Get a good night’s sleep.