Welcome to Western Canada High School
Honouring its tradition of excellence, Western Canada High School prepares and empowers students to be knowledgeable, confident, lifelong learners capable of enhancing their lives and the quality of our world. A school year is a journey that takes many different turns. One of the most exciting and challenging aspects of being in a school is that each day is so different. Todd Whittaker writes: “The excitement of starting a new school year provides opportunities to reestablish expectations and introduce changes. We’re all on our best behaviour, full of positive energy about the coming year. The start of the year is a chance to set the tone for the school.”
We invite you to commit to your school and to bring your best to your classes and activities. By building a culture of shared commitment, we will create a strong community of excellence. Jim Collins in his book Good To Great writes: “Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline.” This student agenda book outlines the expectations that will successfully guide each member of the Western Canada High School Learning Community in their interactions and relationships with each other.
On behalf of the staff at Western Canada High School, we welcome you to the Redhawks Team. The Redhawk Logo represents the strong, courageous and astute visionary who guides and protects our community. This image is reflected in the words Intellegentia, Vires, Virtus – or Knowledge, Strength and Courage. We look forward to meeting each of you during the course of the school year.
Western Canada High School Administration Team
Honouring its tradition of excellence, Western Canada High School prepares and empowers students to be knowledgeable, confident, lifelong learners capable of enhancing their lives and the quality of our world.
Intellegentia, Vires, Virtus - Knowledge, Strength, Courage
We believe in:
- providing an environment that encourages the development of individual potential and personal responsibility;
- ensuring the respect, equality, and dignity of each individual;
- celebrating the ethnic, cultural and linguistic diversity of our school community;
- enhancing our relationships with our communities;
- consulting with stakeholders when appropriate;
- recognizing, celebrating and fostering excellence;
- offering diverse and challenging programs;
- developing critical and creative thinking skills;
- encouraging research and innovation based on best knowledge;
- implementing technology that enhances learning and teaching;
- creating a learning climate characterized by high expectations and a strong work ethic;
- providing a safe and secure environment to ensure the well-being of our school community;
- enhancing our strong relationship between home and school.
Western Canada High School's name was taken from the Western Canada College, which stood on this land from the early 1900's until the land was sold to the Calgary Board of Education in 1928. Western Canada College was a private boys college serving Calgary and Southern Alberta.
Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
The Western Canada High School Music Program is proud educational partners with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. We are tremendously thankful for the support of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts for their support in making this educational partnership a reality.
We are pleased to announce CIBC as our educational partner for the Career and Life Management Program
Alberta Foundation of the Arts