The following guidelines have been established by a representative group of Western students, parents, and staff along with CBE Administrative Regulation 6010.
As part of the expectation of courtesy and respect, all staff and students are required to adhere to reasonable and respectable standards in dressing and grooming for a focused working and learning environment. Clothing worn by staff and students needs to facilitate comfortable interaction within the school community. Staff and students should be sensitive to the values and expectations of the community and should strive to offend no one by their dress. Dress should be modest, appropriate for the school setting, and conducive to a safe environment.
Clothing that is revealing is inappropriate. Attire should meet the following standards:
- clothes must cover underwear
- shorts/skirts/dresses no shorter than mid thigh
- shirts/tops long enough to cover navel
- no low cut tops; no muscle shirts
- shirts/tops/dresses must have shoulder straps
Appropriateness for School Setting
Clothing should not detract from the learning environment. Messages on clothing that display or promote the following are unacceptable:
- discrimination, hatred, or violence
- profanity or obscene gestures
- the use of alcohol or drugs
Safety / Security
Clothing and accessories should reflect a safe environment. Consequently, the following are prohibited:
- heavy industrial chains and spikes (metal sharpened to a point)
- accessories that could easily be used as weaponry
- gang specific paraphernalia
- paramilitary attire
Administration may require any student not conforming to dress standards to return home and change to suitable clothing before being admitted to class.