Western has a team of counsellors who provide guidance and counselling to students throughout their high school years.
- Ms. Angie Nairn – A-G firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Jeff Crane – H-O email@example.com
- Ms. Linda Forde – P-Z & ELL LMFORDE@cbe.ab.ca
- Ms. Schwartz - Guidance Secretary
Booking an Appointment & Hours
Monday to Thursday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM to 2:45 PM
How We Can Help
A comprehensive guidance program is provided to students, including the following domains:
Educational Counselling – to help students adopt a perspective that places a high priority on understanding their educational goals and how to attain them successfully.
- Course advising
- High school program planning
- Diploma requirements
- Post-secondary planning, entrance requirements, applications, and registration
- Support of success in courses
Career Counselling – to assist students by providing developmentally appropriate programs, information, and counselling with regard to understanding and planning for further education and/or school-to-work transition.
- Personal goal setting
- Interest and aptitude assessment
- Virtual resources
- Occupational information
- Post-secondary information
Personal Counselling – to provide confidential counselling to students who are experiencing personal concerns such as:
- Stress management
- Body image
- Self-esteem issues
- Relationship conflict
- Alcohol, drug use, addictions
- Disordered eating
- Anxiety and panic
- Anger management
- Abuse issues
- Life events and transitions
- Identity issues
- Grief and loss •Suicidal thoughts
Information, Referrals and Consulting – to provide accurate, current information as requested.
- Alternative course delivery, student finance, loans, scholarships, and bursaries
- Information and referrals to agencies such as Calgary Child and Family Services Authority, Access Mental Health, and Canadian Mental Health
- Information about health issues and appropriate referrals
Students are encouraged to make appointments to talk to their counsellors about issues that are affecting their success at school. You may discuss your personal situation in a respectful, supportive atmosphere with your counsellor, and get assistance in developing strategies to succeed.
A Learning Strategist is available to help students who would like assistance with their school work. All students who require extra help or have special learning needs can receive services such as individualized assessment and learning strategies including: organizational and time management skills, study and test-taking skills, managing test anxiety, and self-advocacy skills. Assistance finding a peer tutor is also available.