We are excited to welcome students back for the 2021-22 school year!
NEW (August 29): In the attachments, we have added a "Welcome Week Overview for Families September 2021".
* This will be handed out to Grade 10s on September 1st.
* We will also send a digital copy out through School Messenger on August 30. if you do not receive it, please make sure you have signed up for School Messenger.
We look forward to welcoming our students back on September 1st.
WCHS Calendar of Events: 2021-22
Please reference the summary; it is the second last last document posted under "Resources" after the forms and Fine Arts Newsletter located on the right.
The Main Office will re-open on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:30 am.
Please review the information and links below. These will provide useful information and answer any questions you may have about your first day of school, and our day-to-day expectations of students.
Forms and Photos | August 25 & 26, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
August 13, 2021
Dear Western Families:
As we move towards the 2021-22 school year, may you have enjoyed some time together over the summer holidays. We are hopeful about the possibilities as we begin a new school year.
Guiding our school re-entry is the Alberta Government’s “Back to School Plan”: Alberta Government: Preparing for A New School Year
The CBE is also in the process of updating back to school protocols. Modified schools, starting in mid-August, have these safety protocols: CBE Memo to Families: August 11. Please be aware these protocols are subject to further updates.
For our pre-registration, here is the alphabetical listing for “Forms and Photos”. To support social distancing and avoid large crowds, we ask that you please:
- use the daily checklist to identify if students and staff should attend or stay home: Alberta Health Daily Checklist
- Staying home when sick – students and staff who present with COVID-19 symptoms are strongly recommended to stay at home until symptoms resolve
- Proper hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette: please sanitize hands on entry.
- At this time, mandatory masking will remain in place for all staff and students. Students can remove their masks while their photo is being taken.
- Students are asked to please remove hats, ball caps etc. for their student ID photos.
- Parents can wait for their children in the student parking lot. We appreciate your understanding.
- Set aside 30 - 45 minutes for this process. If you are new to the CBE, you will have to go to the library to log into a computer which will take longer.
Location of Forms and Photos: Main Gym – please enter from the back student parking lot, using the entry door with the “Redhawk” awning.
Students will exit from the loading dock doors which has direct access to the back student parking lot.
Wednesday August 25: Grade 10
Thursday August 26: Grade 11 and 12
9:00 – 10:00
A - Co
A - Ch
10:00 – 11:00
Cot - Has
Cl - G
11:00 – 12:00
Hay - Lin
H - K
12:00 – 1:00
Lind - Ph
L - O
1:00 – 2:00
Pi - Tad
P - S
2:00 – 3:00
Tah - Z
T - Z
Students New to the CBE:
During the “Forms and Photo” Days, please proceed to the library (up the stairs beside the main office). You will need to log in to a WCHS computer in order to access PowerSchool for the first time (timetable, grades, demographic information). Support will be provided.
Fees will soon be available online in the PowerSchool parent portal: PowerSchool Parent Portal If you are new to the CBE, you may find this site helpful: How to use PowerSchool
- Fees are being applied for courses currently in your child’s timetable. These are subject to adjustments if timetable changes are made. Please do not pay the fee if your child plans on dropping the course.
- Optional Yearbook fees are found under optional fees.
- If you are experiencing difficulties with PowerSchool, please contact the school starting on Tuesday August 24 at 403-228-5363, ext 0.
- If you are new to the CBE, your child must log into a computer at WCHS prior to being able to access the student account.
- If you have questions about fees, please reach out to Mr. Lakhani at email@example.com.
At “Forms and Photos” day, please print and hand in:
- Acceptable Use Policy form (for computer network access)
- Consent to Post or Publish Student Information and Work form
- Grade 11 & 12 – Parking Pass Contract
- As part of “Forms and Photos”, students new to Western Canada must stop by the library to validate their computer log-in credentials for WCHS. At this time, new students will receive a quick orientation to frequently used CBE applications.
- Note: students new to the CBE must log into a WCHS computer and validate their credentials before they are able to remotely access CBE applications from home. You will want to do this before Sept. 1, 2021 to access your timetable.
- Members from Students Council are excited to be offering one hour guided tours on Wednesday Aug. 25 for Grade 10, 11 and 12 students. We will also have a tour for the Grade 10s on September 1. However, we recognize some students will feel more comfortable with an initial orientation. This is for students only. Please use this link to sign up: W.C.H.S. Facility Tour - Optional: August 25, 2021 | Google Docs Form . Registration will close at 2:00 pm on Monday August 23rd to support the organization of tours. If you missed out, you will have an opportunity to tour the school on September 1st.
- If you are having trouble with the link, e-mail Mr. Fuhr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mr. Fuhr is on summer holidays so he may not get back to you right away.
- Students must have their photo taken in order to obtain a student ID card which is needed to access various services in the school (Library access, to write a test in the Test Centre, identification for final exams, dances, etc.)
- Students also get their photos taken for the yearbook free of charge.
For the 2021-22 school year Lifetouch will be photographing the staff and students of Western Canada HS on a proof program. On photo day a sheet will be distributed that contains access codes to order photos online. Purchased packages will be shipped directly to the home address provided when ordering is completed. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call the Lifetouch office at 403-255-5440.
Western Canada invests a great deal of energy into our Opening Week activities with Students Council playing a leading role. We look forward to welcoming our students back for the 2021-22 school year.
Wednesday Sept. 1:
Grade 10 Welcome: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Students will be greeted on the back field by Western teachers.
- Students will be organized in cohorts according to their last name. Please see signs posted on the fence from A – Z.
- If it is raining, please bring an umbrella.
- Teachers will be out on the field by 8:45 am.
- Once all students are present, we will begin entering the school at 9:00 am. Please be on time! We deeply appreciate it. If you plan on arriving by 8:50 am, you will feel and be calm.
- Students are encouraged to bring a snack/lunch to eat in a 30 minute break. At the time of writing this information, we do not know if we will be able to serve food due to covid restrictions.
Grade 11 and 12 Welcome: 2:20 – 3:20 pm
- Students will go to their Period 1 class (Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
- Grade 11 students with a period 1 spare: Library
- Grade 12 students with a period 1 spare: Cafeteria
Thursday Sept. 2: Regular School Day- All Grades
Period 2: 9:05 – 10:25
Period 1: 10:30 – 11:50
10:35 – 11:15: Whole School Virtual Assembly - Students on spares: Theatre
Period 4: 12:35 – 1:55 pm
Period 3: 2:00 – 3:20 pm
Friday Sept. 3: Regular School Day – All Grades (Friday – shortened schedule)
Period 1: 9:05 – 10:05 am
Period 2: 10:10 – 11:10 am
Period 3: 11:15 – 12:15 pm
Period 4: 12:20 – 1:20 pm
Fine Arts Summer Newsletter
Despite COVID-19, our Fine Arts program had an outstanding year. Read their summer newsletter. If you have any questions, reach out to Mr Hagan who is enjoying a well earned summer holiday. He will get back to you in August.
Due to COVID-19, more information should be released towards the end of August. For the most up to date information, visit the CSHSAA website: http://calgaryhighschoolsports.ca/
Lockers will be available to students; a system that supports current COVID-19 best practices will be adopted. We will begin distributing after the first week of classes.
Student Parking (Grades 11 & 12 students only)
Parking pass forms must be completed and turned in to the main office in order to obtain a pass. Be aware that a student parking tag does not guarantee a parking spot. Student parking spots are on a first come first served basis.
Students/parents are requested to advise the school of any know medical conditions which may affect the student at school. If any student has a serious medical condition such as a severe allergy, parents should contact the Main Office to complete appropriate paperwork. www.cbe.ab.ca/FormsManuals/Student-Health-Emergency-Response-Protocol-Form.pdf
Injuries, Illness & Parent Contact at School
Serious injuries require professional help and EMS will be called in the event of any serious concern. Parents will also be contacted immediately if their student is injured or ill. It is important that parents provide the school with current information to assist in home and business contacts. Demographic forms will be distributed on the first day. If there are any changes please record them on the form and have your son or daughter return this form to their Period 1 teacher. If they have a spare, they can bring the form to the Main Office.
Please Note: Students should be able to see their timetables through the MyCBE / PowerSchool app or PowerSchool online by the second week of August.
Course Change Requests
August 28 Update - Student Schedules & Requests for Changes:
Please be aware that schedules are subject to change as new staff are hired and classes are balanced. Counsellors are working hard to meet your requests, while changes to teaching staff and courses continue. Please know that your requests for courses will be filled if possible and that teacher requests may not happen, as, with 2100+ students, this is not possible most of the time.
Counsellors have received hundreds of requests by email; your patience is appreciated!
Should you wish to request a change in your timetable, please email your counsellor. Counsellor Emails, and the part of the alphabet they serve, are listed below:
Student Last Name Letter Counsellor Email Address
A to G Ms. Angela Nairn firstname.lastname@example.org
H to O Mr. Jeff Crane email@example.com
P to Z Mrs. Linda Forde firstname.lastname@example.org
Course changes MAY BE possible for the following reasons:
- You are missing a prerequisite
- Your timetable is incomplete
- Grade 12 students are expected to have at least 6 classes; grade 11s, 7 classes; and,
- Grade 10s, 8 classes
- Your timetable is unbalanced:
- Grade 10s should have two cores each semester.
- Math, Science, ELA and Social Studies are core subjects.
- You should have 2/4 each semester.
- All students should avoid having Sports Performance and PE in the same semester; we will strive to create that change, if possible.
Priority for timetable changes in August and September will be:
- Students who attended and passed summer school courses
- Students who failed courses in June
- Students with partial / incomplete timetables
- Students with unbalanced core subjects between semesters
- Universities do not require students to have specific courses in Semester 1
- The last date to submit a Course Change Request is: Friday September 10/21.
NOTE: WE WILL NOT BE MAKING TIMETABLE CHANGES TO ACCOMMODATE TEACHER PREFERENCES
To facilitate the number of changes, counsellors will not be taking any appointments until Monday, September 13, 2021, when we will see students who want Online Courses with CBe-learn.
NOTE: only students with “See Counsellor” on their Timetable will be seen the first week of school.
If timetable changes are possible, they will be processed and reflected in your timetable in PowerSchool. If class sizes or conflicts do not permit a change, it will NOT be made. We will NOT be contacting you.
We look forward to a wonderful new year with you! Take care and enjoy the last days of summer vacation.
Staff is on summer holidays which may result in a delay to e-mail inquiries. Your understanding is appreciated.
Carma Cornea, Principal email@example.com
Gregg Wesley, Assistant Principal (A – G) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Wutzke, Assistant Principal (H – O) email@example.com
Michelle Hornby, Assistant Principal (P – Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathy Gardner, Admin Secretary email@example.com
Corinne Cadre, IPP Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Bussing from Ogden and Riverbend
Starting in the 2021-22 school year, due to a declining number of Western Canada High School students coming from the communities Ogden and Riverbend, Calgary Transit will no longer be able to continue school express service from those communities to Western Canada High School. Students can still access Calgary Transit's regular service with feasible options within the guideline. For help on route planning, please call Calgary Transit Customer Service at 403-262-1000, or visit their website.