We are excited to welcome students back for the 2021-22 school year!
The Main Office will re-open on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021.
Please review the information and links below. These will provide useful information and answer any questions you may have about your first day of school, and our day-to-day expectations of students.
Forms and Photos | August 25 & 26, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
August 25th and 26th are the dates for “Forms and Photos”. Due to COVID-19, we will be sending out a more detailed alphabetical breakdown for students to come in as we seek to follow Alberta Health Services safe gathering protocols. The surname breakdown will begin with the letter A at 9:00 am ending with the letter Z at 3:00 pm.
- August 25: Grade 10 Day
- August 26: Grade 11 and 12 Day
At “Forms and Photos” day, print and hand in:
- Acceptable Use Policy form (for computer network access)
- Consent to Post or Publish Student Information and Work form
- Grade 11 & 12 – Parking Pass Contract
- As part of “Forms and Photos”, students new to Western Canada must stop by the library to validate their computer log-in credentials for WCHS. At this time, new students will receive a quick orientation to frequently used CBE applications.
- Note: students new to the CBE must log into a WCHS computer and validate their credentials before they are able to remotely access CBE applications from home. You will want to do this before Sept. 1, 2021 to access your timetable.
- Members from Students Council are excited to be offering one hour guided tours on Wednesday Aug. 25 for Grade 10, 11 and 12 students. We will also have a tour for the Grade 10s on September 1. However, we recognize some students will feel more comfortable with an initial orientation. This is for students only. Please use this link to sign up: W.C.H.S. Facility Tour - Optional: August 25, 2021 | Google Docs Form
- If you are having trouble with the link, e-mail Mr. Fuhr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mr. Fuhr is on summer holidays so he may not get back to you right away.
- Students must have their photo taken in order to obtain a student ID card which is needed to access various services in the school (Library access, to write a test in the Test Centre, identification for final exams, dances, etc.)
- Students also get their photos taken for the yearbook free of charge.
For the 2021-22 school year Lifetouch will be photographing the staff and students of Western Canada HS on a proof program. On photo day a sheet will be distributed that contains access codes to order photos online. Purchased packages will be shipped directly to the home address provided when ordering is completed. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call the Lifetouch office at 403-255-5440.
Western Canada invests a great deal of energy into our Opening Week activities with Students Council playing a leading role. We look forward to welcoming our students back for the 2021-22 school year.
Wednesday Sept. 1:
Grade 10 Welcome: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Students will be greeted on the back field by Western teachers.
- Students will be organized in cohorts according to their last name. Please see signs posted on the fence from A – Z.
- If it is raining, please bring an umbrella.
- Teachers will be out on the field by 8:45 am.
- Once all students are present, we will begin entering the school at 9:00 am. Please be on time! We deeply appreciate it. If you plan on arriving by 8:50 am, you will feel and be calm.
- Students are encouraged to bring a snack/lunch to eat in a 30 minute break. At the time of writing this information, we do not know if we will be able to serve food due to covid restrictions.
Grade 11 and 12 Welcome: 2:20 – 3:20 pm
- Students will go to their Period 1 class (Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
- Grade 11 students with a period 1 spare: Library
- Grade 12 students with a period 1 spare: Cafeteria
Thursday Sept. 2: Regular School Day- All Grades
Period 2: 9:05 – 10:25
Period 1: 10:30 – 11:50
10:35 – 11:15: Whole School Virtual Assembly - Students on spares: Theatre
Period 4: 12:35 – 1:55 pm
Period 3: 2:00 – 3:20 pm
Friday Sept. 3: Regular School Day – All Grades (Friday – shortened schedule)
Period 1: 9:05 – 10:05 am
Period 2: 10:10 – 11:10 am
Period 3: 11:15 – 12:15 pm
Period 4: 12:20 – 1:20 pm
Fine Arts Summer Newsletter
Despite COVID-19, our Fine Arts program had an outstanding year. Read their summer newsletter. If you have any questions, reach out to Mr Hagan who is enjoying a well earned summer holiday. He will get back to you in August.
Due to COVID-19, more information should be released towards the end of August. For the most up to date information, visit the CSHSAA website: http://calgaryhighschoolsports.ca/
Lockers will be available to students; a system that supports current COVID-19 best practices will be adopted. We will begin distributing after the first week of classes.
Student Parking (Grades 11 & 12 students only)
Parking pass forms must be completed and turned in to the main office in order to obtain a pass. Be aware that a student parking tag does not guarantee a parking spot. Student parking spots are on a first come first served basis.
Students/parents are requested to advise the school of any know medical conditions which may affect the student at school. If any student has a serious medical condition such as a severe allergy, parents should contact the Main Office to complete appropriate paperwork. www.cbe.ab.ca/FormsManuals/Student-Health-Emergency-Response-Protocol-Form.pdf
Injuries, Illness & Parent Contact at School
Serious injuries require professional help and EMS will be called in the event of any serious concern. Parents will also be contacted immediately if their student is injured or ill. It is important that parents provide the school with current information to assist in home and business contacts. Demographic forms will be distributed on the first day. If there are any changes please record them on the form and have your son or daughter return this form to their Period 1 teacher. If they have a spare, they can bring the form to the Main Office.
Please Note: Students should be able to see their timetables through the MyCBE / PowerSchool app or PowerSchool online by the second week of August.
Course Change Requests
Should you wish to request a change in your timetable, please email your counsellor; we will consider your requests when we return the last week of August. Counsellor Emails, and the part of the alphabet they serve, are listed below:
Student Last Name Letter Counsellor Email Address
A to G Ms. Angela Nairn firstname.lastname@example.org
H to O Mr. Jeff Crane email@example.com
P to Z Mrs. Linda Forde firstname.lastname@example.org
Course changes MAY BE possible for the following reasons:
- You are missing a prerequisite
- Your timetable is incomplete
- Grade 12 students are expected to have at least 6 classes; grade 11s, 7 classes; and,
- Grade 10s, 8 classes
- Your timetable is unbalanced:
- Grade 10s should have two cores each semester.
- Math, Science, ELA and Social Studies are core subjects.
- You should have 2/4 each semester.
- All students should avoid having Sports Performance and PE in the same semester; we will strive to create that change, if possible.
Priority for timetable changes in August and September will be:
- Students who attended and passed summer school courses
- Students who failed courses in June
- Students with partial / incomplete timetables
- Students with unbalanced core subjects between semesters
- Universities do not require students to have specific courses in Semester 1
- The last date to submit a Course Change Request is: Friday September 10/21.
NOTE: WE WILL NOT BE MAKING TIMETABLE CHANGES TO ACCOMMODATE TEACHER PREFERENCES
To facilitate the number of changes, counsellors will not be taking any appointments until Monday, September 13, 2021, when we will see students who want Online Courses with CBe-learn.
NOTE: only students with “See Counsellor” on their Timetable will be seen the first week of school.
If timetable changes are possible, they will be processed and reflected in your timetable in PowerSchool. If class sizes or conflicts do not permit a change, it will NOT be made. We will NOT be contacting you.
Staff is on summer holidays which may result in a delay to e-mail inquiries. Your understanding is appreciated.
Carma Cornea, Principal email@example.com
Gregg Wesley, Assistant Principal (A – G) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Wutzke, Assistant Principal (H – O) email@example.com
Michelle Hornby, Assistant Principal (P – Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathy Gardner, Admin Secretary email@example.com
Corinne Cadre, IPP Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Bussing from Ogden and Riverbend
Starting in the 2021-22 school year, due to a declining number of Western Canada High School students coming from the communities Ogden and Riverbend, Calgary Transit will no longer be able to continue school express service from those communities to Western Canada High School. Students can still access Calgary Transit's regular service with feasible options within the guideline. For help on route planning, please call Calgary Transit Customer Service at 403-262-1000, or visit their website.