Career and Technology Studies & Knowledge and Employability
CTS courses are recommended for Grade 10 students at Western Canada High School. All Grade 10 students are eligible to pick at least one introductory course from the strands on the chart below. Students are encouraged to pick courses in one or more areas of interest. The CTS courses allow students to continue developing their digital literacy skills that are embedded throughout their course work at the high school level. Digital and information literacies are core communication competencies in the workplace and at post-secondary educational institutions. Western Canada High School proudly offers students the opportunity to select technology-based CTS courses that support student interests and abilities. Students’ choices are based on availability.
The 5 CTS Clusters
- Business, Administration, Finance & Information Technology (BIT)
- Health, Recreation & Human Services (HRH)
- Media, Design & Communication Arts (MDC)
- Natural Resources (NAT)
- Trades, Manufacturing & Transportation (TMT)
Cluster Courses Include
- BIT: Computing Sciences, Enterprise & Innovation, Finance Management, Information Processing, Marketing & Management, Networking.
- HRH: Community Care Services, Cosmetology, Esthetics, Foods, Health Care Services, Human & Social Services, Legal Studies, Recreation Leadership, Tourism.
- MDC: Communication Technology, Design Studies, Fashion Studies
- NAT: Agriculture, Environmental Stewardship, Forestry, Primary Resources, Wildlife
- TMT: Auto Body Services, Automotive Services, Aviation, Construction, Electro-Technologies, Fabrication, Logistics (Supply Chain Management)
The following chart shows the CTS courses offered at Western: