CTS courses are recommended for Grade 10 students at Western Canada High School. All Grade 10 students are eligible to pick at least one appropriate starting course for a program of interest using the chart below. Several programs run each year of high school (e.g.) Computer Science. But, some programs can be completed in two years (E.g.) Film & Multimedia.
See the CTS Course Options For Grade 10 Students in 2023-2024 for course descriptions. Alternatively, you can see course descriptions to the left under each of the 5 major learning strands - BIT, HRH, MDC, NAT or TMT.
CTS courses fosters life skills and the ongoing digital literacy required in their professional lives. Digital and information literacies are core communication competencies in the workplace and at post-secondary educational institutions. Western Canada High School proudly offers students the opportunity to select technology-based CTS courses that support student interests and abilities. Students’ choices are based on availability.
CTS courses at Western are specifically designed to provide student's with opportunities to explore career possibilities. Want to be an engineer? Then it is highly recommended that you consider Computer Science, Robotics and Design. Thinking of a career as an architect? Then maybe you should consider Design. Interested in visual communication, video making and online media. The perhaps try out the Film and Media course.
The 5 CTS Clusters
- Business, Administration, Finance & Information Technology (BIT)
- Health, Recreation & Human Services (HRH)
- Media, Design & Communication Arts (MDC)
- Natural Resources (NAT)
- Trades, Manufacturing & Transportation (TMT)
Cluster Courses Include
- BIT: Business (Enterprise & Innovation, Finance Management, Information Processing, Management & Marketing), Computing Sciences
- HRH: Foods, Legal Studies
- MDC: Communication Technology, Media and Film Studies, Design Studies
- NAT: Green Certificate
- TMT: Electro-Technologies, Robotics
Robotics, Engineering, Computer Science and Design
The following chart shows the CTS courses offered at Western (Not updated for 2023-2024):
Off Campus at the Career & Technology Centre
Career and Technology Centre – at Lord Shaughnessy High School. Students interested in the CTC programs should work with their guidance counsellor to register for the 2023-24 school year.
- Autobody Repair
- IT Essentials
- Energy and Environmental Innovation
- Media Design and Communication
- Culinary Arts
- Health Sciences