Career & Technology Studies
CTS courses are recommended for Grade 10 students at Western Canada High School. All Grade 10 students are eligible to pick at least one introductory course from the strands on the chart below. But, as in the case of Business and Legal Studies, Grade 10 students can also choose to select a course that starts at the intermediate level.
CTS courses fosters life skills and the ongoing digital literacy required in their professional lives. Digital and information literacies are core communication competencies in the workplace and at post-secondary educational institutions. Western Canada High School proudly offers students the opportunity to select technology-based CTS courses that support student interests and abilities. Students’ choices are based on availability.
For more information on CTS courses check out the video below or download our brochure. The PDF can be found in the right sidebar.
CTS courses at Western are specifically designed to provide student's with opportunities to explore career possibilities. Want to be an engineer? Then it is highly recommended that you consider Computer Science, Robotics and Design. Thinking of a career as an architect? Then maybe you should consider Design. Interested in visual communication, video making and online media. The perhaps try out the Film and Media course.
The 5 CTS Clusters
- Business, Administration, Finance & Information Technology (BIT)
- Health, Recreation & Human Services (HRH)
- Media, Design & Communication Arts (MDC)
- Natural Resources (NAT)
- Trades, Manufacturing & Transportation (TMT)
Cluster Courses Include
- BIT: Business (Enterprise & Innovation, Finance Management, Information Processing, Management & Marketing), Computing Sciences
- HRH: Foods, Legal Studies
- MDC: Communication Technology, Media and Film Studies, Design Studies
- NAT: Green Certificate
- TMT: Electro-Technologies, Robotics
Robotics, Engineering, Computer Science and Design
The following chart shows the CTS courses offered at Western:
Off Campus at the Career & Technology Centre
Career and Technology Centre – at Lord Shaughnessy High School. Students interested in the CTC programs should work with their guidance counsellor to register for the 2021-22 school year.
- Autobody Repair
- IT Essentials
- Energy and Environmental Innovation
- Media Design and Communication
- Culinary Arts
- Health Sciences