The culmination of twelve years of education is a special time in the life of students, parents and staff. We recognize this as an important passage and an occasion to be marked with formal ceremonies in the morning, followed by a gala banquet and dance in the evening. Western Canada High School's 2020 graduation will take place on Saturday, May 30, 2020 .
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to complete the minimum requirements for an Alberta High School Diploma by the end of June 2020. * Students who do not have the possibility of completing these courses, or who leave school during the year without completing the requirements, will not be eligible to participate in the graduation activities.
The Graduation List
A graduation list will be posted outside the Guidance Office on Tuesday, March 17, 2020. Students are asked to check for errors or omissions and report them to the Guidance Secretary, Ms. Schwartz, in the Counseling Office by Thursday, March 19, 2020 (before leaving for Spring Break). Students should not assume they meet the requirements to participate in the graduation activities simply because they are registered in grade 12. The completed list will be the basis for the ticket distribution, program information and the grad composite.
Things of which you need to be aware:
1. Only those students who have earned the minimum 100 credits and fulfilled the requirements for a High School Diploma by June 2020 will be eligible to participate in the Graduation Ceremonies and Banquet/Dance. will be eligible to participate in the Graduation Ceremonies and Banquet/Dance.
2. The minimum requirements for receiving an Alberta High School Diploma are:
- ELA 30-1 or 30-2
- Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2
- 10 credits in Science
- Math 20-1, 20-2 or 20-3
- Physical Education 10 (3 credits)
- Career and Life Management (3 credits)
- 10 credits in any combination from Career and Technology Studies, Fine Arts, Second Languages, or PE 20 or 30
- 10 credits in 30 level courses in addition to ELA 30-1 or 30-2 and Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2.
- Students will attend the graduation rehearsal to be held during Period 3 (Block 4) on Thursday May 28, 2020. At this rehearsal, graduation gowns will be distributed; the procedures for Closing Exercises will be discussed, instructions provided, and a map of the parking lots at Stampede Park will be distributed. It is compulsory that all students attend this rehearsal. Plan accordingly.
- The Closing Ceremony is at Calgary Stampede Park – in the Stampede Corral on the morning of Saturday, May 30, 2020.
- Ceremony will begin at 8:45 AM sharp and will conclude by 12:00 PM. Grads must arrive at the Stampede Corral 8:00 - 8:15 AM to pick up their nametag and then line up.
- A photographer will be booked to take a photo of graduands as they receive their diplomas. This is a complimentary photo given to each graduand from Lifetouch. Guests will not be allowed to take photos during the exercises but may do so before the Closing Ceremony.
- There is no guest registration for the grad ceremony. All are welcome.
- Parking rates are set by the BMO Centre and are payable at the gate. For an additional fee at that gate you can request 1 re-entry privilege. This is recommended for guests returning for the Banquet & Dance.
- As this is the graduating Class of 2020 – a day organised to celebrate the collective achievement of our students, we respectfully ask that grads and guests stay to for the entire ceremony and support all graduands in their achievement.
- All grads are expected to return their rental gown immediately after the ceremonies. Family photographs should be done prior to the event.
Direct questions regarding the Closing Ceremonies to Mrs. Ellchuk at VJEllchuk@cbe.ab.ca.
Banquet and Dance
The formal banquet and dance will take place at the Bank of Montreal Centre on the Stampede Grounds the evening of Saturday, May 30, 2020. The Banquet will be located in Hall B/C. Per ticket, cost is $100. Ticket price covers meal and venue costs, decorations, ticketing system charges ($2.75 / ticket), A/V equipment rentals, DJ services, GST, and a mandatory 18% gratuity to BMO event staff. There are no discounted tickets available.
- Reception: 5:30 pm
- Program Start: 6:30 pm (Hall doors closed to entry until program is complete)
- Dinner Buffet : 7:00 pm (Hall Doors reopen for late arrivals)
- Dance: 8:30 - 10:30 pm (Please schedule pickups no earlier than 9:15)
There are four steps necessary to ensure your place at the Graduation Banquet and Dance:
- Grad list (Tues. March 17th)
- Table Planning & Ticket Requests (Mon. March 2nd – Fri. March 20th)
- Ticket Purchase (Mon. April 6th – Wed. April 15th)
- Guest Pre Registration (Mon. April 27th Table Groups of 8, 16 or 24)
- Guest General Registration (Tues. April 29th - Fri. May 1st)
Step 1: Grad List (March 17th)
Make sure you are graduating. Only students on the graduation list, and with no outstanding fees, are eligible to purchase banquet tickets. If you attempt to purchase tickets online and you are restricted from purchasing tickets – then check the grad list and visit the business office.
Step 2: Table Planning & Ticket Requests (March 2nd – March 20th)
- Unlike previous years, ticket allocation is through a request and approval system. This is due to the larger class size and the limited venue capacity.
- Students planning to attend the banquet should request the number of tickets required for themselves and their guests using an online questionnaire. Details on the questionnaire will be communicated via CBE School Messenger system. Guests should be 12 and above.
- A request does NOT guarantee you will receive the desired number of tickets. Approval is dependent on ticket requests in relation to venue capacity.
- If ticket requests are below venue capacity then all requests made will be approved. Otherwise, guest limits may be placed. This approved limit will be used to set the maximize guests allowed during step 3 – guest registration.
- When requesting tickets please bear in mind that tables seat eight.
- Students are asked to arrange their own seating. Please plan FULL TABLES so there are no empty seats.
Step 3: Ticket Purchase (April 6th – April 14th)
- All sales are final
- Between these dates, families can purchase their approved ticket amount online using the CBE fees system.
- As the fee system does not allow for individual caps based off requests, it is important that you ONLY buy the amount of tickets that were both requested AND approved.
- Purchasing more tickets than requested will create an issue at guest registration. Purchasing fewer tickets is NOT a problem.
Step 4: Guest Registration (April 27th Full tables of 8; April 29th Other Table Sizings to May 1st)
- Guest registration is done using an online system. Only students on the grad list, with no outstanding fees, and who have put in a request for banquet tickets (Step 2) will be able to register their guests. If you purchased more tickets than you requested, you may run into an issue at this stage.
- In early-April, a venue seating map, menu and planning sheet will be posted. This will facilitate table selection during event registration.
- All guests within the same party elect one student as a GROUP CAPTAIN (GC). Having the same group captain ensures that guests remain together - either at the same table if group is less than eight, or at adjacent tables for groups larger than eight.
- One Group Captain can have up to six tables under their name. Guests at those tables will be asked for their Group Captain when purchasing their tickets during online registration.
- It is important guests know who the Group Captain is prior to registering.
- GROUP CAPTAINS do not purchase tickets for their group. Graduates are responsible for purchasing tickets for themselves and their guests.
- If you are not seated with a larger group of multiple students and their associated guests - please list the graduating student as the GC.
- There will be a 48-hour advanced purchase and seat selection. This is ONLY for students who have organised a full table of 8 or a larger group that is a multiple of 8. All guests in your group need to purchase and seat themselves during this 24-hour advanced ticket purchase. There should be no empty spots at the table by the end of advanced sale period. If this can’t be done – all party members need to wait.
48 HR ADVANCED SALE (FULL TABLES IN MULTIPLES OF 8):
FROM: Mon., April 27 (Noon) TO: Wed., April 29 (Noon)
REGULAR SALE (GROUPS NOT ORGANISED IN A MULTIPLE OF 8):
FROM: Wed., April 29 (Noon) TO: Friday, May 1 (2 PM)
To purchase your tickets you need:
- Student Number, Valid email address, Names of all guests
- Each guest’s preferred meal (Choices are: Regular, Vegetarian/Vegan or Allergy)
- Group Captain (GC) (Explained Above)
- Valid MasterCard, Visa or Debit card
- Link to purchase tickets is: https://wchs.inviteright.com/g...
- The week prior to grad, seating confirmations are emailed to address used during purchase process. Print and distribute to guests. Email contains finalised table number.
- TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- BMO Centre Security searches all bags of students and patrons.
- Students may not come and go from the banquet hall during the event.
- The Grad Banquet and Dance is a non-smoking, non-vaping and non-alcoholic event - for ALL guests. Any person coming to the event with or under the influence of alcohol will not be allowed entry.
Direct questions regarding the Banquet and Dance to Mr. Smith at BGSmith@cbe.ab.ca
Organizer Contact Information
Conmmunications, Banquet, and Dance