Class of 2022
The culmination of twelve years of education is a special time in the life of students, parents and staff. We recognize this is an important passage and an occasion to be marked with formal ceremonies.
Grad Rehearsal: Tuesday May 17th from 2:00 - 3:20 pm
* Students will attend their period 3 (block 4) class.
* Students on spares will report to the theatre (NEW) because the choir room is too small.
Resources: See first two documents to the right (Instructions and Map). Students in class - these have been photocopied for you.
Link for Virtual Rehearsal (download Microsoft Teams): Link: https://tinyurl.com/yckwpe2v
* this is not recorded but the powerpoint will be posted.
Grad gowns will be distributed after the rehearsal. If you away from school, you can pick your gown up from the Main Office starting on Wednesday.
Western Canada High School's 2022 graduation is scheduled to take place in two parts:
1. Graduation Ceremony: See Grad Ceremony Newsletter for full details (Pub. 7 April)
- Tuesday, 24 May at 2:00 pm (Jack Simpson Gymnasium, U of C).
- Our Grade 10 musicians perform for this event.
- No school on 24 May for all WCHS students.
- Suggested parking: Lots 10 and 11 ($9 fee payable by credit card)
- 1:00 pm - Grade 12 graduands - be in the Olympic Oval to line up!!
- 1:30 pm - Doors open to the Jack Simpson Gymnasium for parents.
- 2:00 pm - Ceremony begins
- 5:00 pm - possible end time of ceremony; it will take some time to clear the parking lots.
2. Graduation Banquet: See Grad Banquet Newsletter for full details (Pub. 7 April)
- Friday, 27 May (BMO, Calgary Stampede Grounds).
- Parking on site at the BMO rate - Approx. $15
- 5:30 pm: Doors Open
- 6:15 pm: You should be in the banquet hall by this time
- 6:30 - 7:00 pm: Program (the doors are closed - no admittance)
- 7:00 pm: Doors reopen and dinner is served.
- 8:30 - 10:30 pm Dance
Important Grade Publications
Key Dates At a Glance:
- April (All): Grad Fees payable through PowerSchool
Parent portal: $55.00 + $2.75 (GST) under ‘optional fee’
- April 5: Grad Survey Opens (Link Above - includes form for banquet ticket requests)
- April 8: Grad Newsletter posted and sent home to parents via weekly newsletter
- April 15: Grad Survey Closes (End of Ticket Requests)
- April 26: Banquet & Dance Ticket Request Confirmation occurs
- May 2: 24-Hr Advanced Banquet Ticket Sales for guests arranged in multiples of 8
- May 3: Regular Ticket sales Opens for all other guests. See newsletter for specific details.
- May 6: Ticket Sales closed
- May 11: "All Things Grad" Parent Council Meeting (6:30 pm)
- May 17: Grad Rehearsal, 2:00 - 3:20 pm (Period 3/Block 4 - Tuesday Schedule)
- May 24: Graduation Ceremony
- May 25: Banquet Seating Confirmations emailed to guests.
- May 27: Graduation Banquet & Dance
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to complete the minimum requirements for an Alberta High School Diploma by the end of June 2022. Students who do not have the possibility of completing these courses, or who leave school during the year without completing the requirements, will not be eligible to participate in the graduation activities.
The Graduation List:
A graduation list is now posted outside the Guidance Office. Students are asked to check for errors or omissions and report them to the Guidance Secretary, Ms. Schwartz, in the Counseling Office by Thursday, March 17, 2022 (before leaving for Spring Break). Students should not assume they meet the requirements to participate in the graduation activities simply because they are registered in grade 12. The completed list will be the basis for the ticket distribution, program information and the grad composite.
A Grad Fee of $55.00 per student + $2.75 (GST) will be collected from each eligible graduate. Please log into your MyCBE / PowerSchool account at Parent PowerSchool Account to make payment or view your transactions.
- Payments cannot be made from a student account.
- If you have any questions regarding your MyCBE account or payment, please contact the Business Manager, Shabbir Lakhani at email@example.com
- All fees must be paid in full prior to the purchase of grad banquet tickets and receiving grad attire.
- Graduation activities are fully funded by our families - we appreciate your understanding. Link to Parent PowerSchool Account provided above.
A professional photographer will take two photos during the ceremony to capture the 'crossing the stage' moment of students. A complimentary photo is provided to families. Parents may order additional copies for this momentous milestone. Lifetouch will use the e-mail address supplied during Grad Photos.
In December 2021, the school had to decide if we were going to rent gowns or purchase keeper packages. Given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we ordered the keeper packages for a third year in a row. The packages will include: grad gown, hat, tassel, red v-stole. These will be distributed on Tuesday May 17th after the grad rehearsal. Graduates must pay their grad fees in full to receive their packages. The school cannot afford to cover the costs of grad attire. Extra grad attire packages will not be available on the day of the ceremony because we ordered one per student. Please be careful with these items! Graduates can use the keeper packages in their family celebrations.
Grad Speaking Roles:
We are excited to have the following students participate in the 2022 Graduation Activities:
Ceremony speakers: (in order at the event)
- Invocation: Ms. Silin W.
- Introduction of Guest Speaker: Mr. David C.
- Gift to the School: Ms. Gina G.
- Valedictorian: Ms. Emily R.
Banquet Guest Speakers: (order to be determined)
- MC's: Ms. Amina A. and Mr. Bryce J.
- Blessing of the meal: Ms. Nikita K.
- Toast to teachers: Ms. Sweta B.
- Toast to parents: Ms. Taylor L.
- Class History (Top 10 Moments): Ms. Olga S. and Mr. Kingsley Z.
As of April 30th, the University of Calgary will be removing their mask mandates. The University of Calgary Jack Simpson Gymnasium seats 3,454 spectators. The 800 seats on the floor are reserved for the graduates and staff. Given the large number of graduates, we will use the honor system of 4 guests per graduate. The ceremony is 'free' for all guests - no tickets are required. We are looking into the possibility of livestreaming the event and will update famlies when we do know.
The BMO has been working with Mr. Smith regarding the banquet. We are very excited to host again after a two year lapse. Specific details will be shared soon. The banquet is 100% funded by guests - the school is unable to offer complimentary tickets for this event. 100% of the funds are directed back to the vendors (BMO, DJ, ticket sales).
Organizer Contact Information:
Please be advised specific details about the Graduation Ceremony and Banquet will be released as they become available. Due to COVID-19, we have been slower in finalizing details as we work with our vendors and their parameters. Your understanding is needed, valued and appreciated.
Ceremony & Banquet Speeches
Graduation Closing Ceremonies
Graduation Banquet & Dance