Class of 2023
The culmination of twelve years of education is a special time in the life of students, parents and staff. We recognise this is an important passage and an occasion to be marked with two formal ceremonies. Direct Grad inquiries to Mr. Barry G. Smith (emailaddress below)
The first event is the Western Canada High School Grad 2023 closing exercises. This event celebrates the academic achievement of students and the completion of twelve years of schooling. This ceremony and celebration is part of the $60 + GST grad fee.
The second event is a formal Banquet & Dance held at the BMO centre for students, their guests and/or family members. Some students choose to organise with friends. Other students organise and invite family. Please note: there is an additional cost for this event. In 2022 that cost was $110 + GST per ticket. The cost for 2023 will be confirmed in March of 2023.
More information about both these events will be available in the newsletters posted on the dates below.
1. Graduation Ceremony: Grad Ceremony Newsletter (Scheduled Publication: Feb 2023)
- Date: Tuesday, 23 May 2023 (Confirmed)
- Place: (Jack Simpson Gymnasium, U of C).
- Time: TBD
- No school on 23 May for all WCHS students.
2. Graduation Banquet: Grad Banquet Newsletter (Scheduled Publication: Feb 2023)
- Date: Friday, 26 May 2023 (Confirmed)
- Place: BMO Centre, Stampede Grounds, Calgary
- 5:30 pm: Doors Open
- 6:15 p.m.: You should be in the banquet hall by this time
- 6:30 - 7:00 p.m.: Program (the doors are closed - no admittance)
- 7:00 p.m.: Doors reopen and dinner is served.
- 8:30 - 10:30 p.m.: Dance
- Parking on site at the BMO rate - Approx. $15
Key Dates At a Glance:
- Ongoing: Class Historian applications accepted (please see Resources for requirements)
- 1 Feb: Grad Ceremony and Banquet & Dance newsletters published
- 1 Feb: Valedictorian application forms due (please see Resources for requirements)
- 21 Feb: Grad Speaking Roles, beyond Valedictorian, due (please see Resources for requirements)
- 23 March: Grad List posted outside Student Services
- April (All): Grad Fees payable through PowerSchool
- Parent portal: 60.00 + $3.00 (GST) under ‘optional fee’
- 3 April: Grad Survey & Banquet ticket request form available
- 13 April: "All Things Grad" Parent Council Meeting (6:30 pm)
- 14 April: Grad Survey Closes (End of Ticket Requests)
- 18 - 21 April: Banquet & Dance Ticket Request Confirmation
- 1 May: 24-Hr Advanced Banquet Ticket Sales for guests arranged in multiples of 8
- 2 May: Regular Ticket sales Opens for all other guests. See newsletter for specific details.
- 5 May: Ticket Sales closed
- 15 May: Grad Rehearsal, 2:00 - 3:20 pm (Period 4)
- 23 May: Graduation Ceremony (Confirmed)
- 24 May: Banquet Seating Confirmations / Tickets emailed to guests.
- 26 May: Graduation Banquet & Dance
Banquet & Dance Planning Documents (Scheduled Update - April 2023):
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will
- Banquet Menu
- Guest Planning Form (guest use only -- do not submit to organiser)
- Venue Seating Map (April)
- How do I plan my banquet tables / seating? [VIDEO]
- How to purchase banquet tickets and register guests [PDF]
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to complete the minimum requirements for an Alberta High School Diploma by the end of June 2022. Students who do not have the possibility of completing these courses, or who leave school during the year without completing the requirements, will not be eligible to participate in the graduation activities.
The Graduation List:
A graduation list will be posted outside the Guidance Office in March. Students are asked to check for errors or omissions and report them to the Guidance Secretary, Ms. Schwartz, in the Counseling Office by Friday, 24 March 2023 (before leaving for Spring Break). Students should not assume they meet the requirements to participate in the graduation activities simply because they are registered in grade 12. The completed list will be the basis for the ticket distribution, program information and the grad composite.
A Grad Fee of $60.00 per student + $3.00 (GST) will be collected from each eligible graduate. Please log into your MyCBE / PowerSchool account at Parent PowerSchool Account to make payment or view your transactions.
- Payments cannot be made from a student account.
- If you have any questions regarding your MyCBE account or payment, please contact the Business Manager, Mr. Shabbir Lakhani at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All fees must be paid in full prior to the purchase of grad banquet tickets and receiving grad attire.
- Graduation activities are fully funded by our families - we appreciate your understanding. Link to Parent PowerSchool Account provided above.
Ms. Adams will be collecting the height of each graduate to ensure we order you the correct sized gown. Stay tuned for further details.
A professional photographer will take two photos during the ceremony to capture the 'crossing the stage' moment of students. A complimentary photo is provided to families. Parents may order additional copies for this momentous milestone. Lifetouch will use the e-mail address supplied during Grad Photos.
Organiser Contact Information:
Please be advised specific details about the Graduation Ceremony and Banquet will be released as they become available on the website. This is our primary communication tool used in conjunction with the announcement D2L shell.
Communication and Banquet & Dance Coordinator
Closing Ceremony Coordinator