The culmination of twelve years of education is a special time in the life of students, parents and staff. We recognize this is an important passage and an occasion to be marked with formal ceremonies in the morning, followed by a gala banquet and dance in the evening. Western Canada High School's 2021 graduation is scheduled to take place on Friday May 28, 2021. Please recognize the safety of graduates, their families and staff will be a priority with planned celebrations. In the spring, we hope to be able to share more specific details.
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to complete the minimum requirements for an Alberta High School Diploma by the end of June 2021. Students who do not have the possibility of completing these courses, or who leave school during the year without completing the requirements, will not be eligible to participate in the graduation activities.
The Graduation List
A graduation list will be posted outside the Guidance Office on Tuesday, March 23, 2021. Students are asked to check for errors or omissions and report them to the Guidance Secretary, Ms. Schwartz, in the Counseling Office by Thursday, March 25, 2020 (before leaving for Spring Break). Students should not assume they meet the requirements to participate in the graduation activities simply because they are registered in grade 12. The completed list will be the basis for the ticket distribution, program information and the grad composite.
Things of which you need to be aware:
1. Only those students who have earned the minimum 100 credits and fulfilled the requirements for a High School Diploma by June 2021 will be eligible to participate in the Graduation Ceremonies and Banquet/Dance will be eligible to participate in the Graduation Ceremonies and Banquet/Dance.
2. The minimum requirements for receiving an Alberta High School Diploma are:
- ELA 30-1 or 30-2
- Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2
- 10 credits in Science: 10 level plus Science 20, Science 24, Biology 20, Chem 20 or Physics 20
- 10 credits in Math: 10 level plus Math 20-1, 20-2 or 20-3
- Physical Education 10 (3 credits)
- CALM: Career and Life Management (3 credits)
- 10 credits in any combination from Career and Technology Studies, Fine Arts, Second Languages, or PE 20 or 30
- 10 credits in 30 level courses in addition to ELA 30-1 or 30-2 and Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2.
Organizer Contact Information:
Please be advised details about the Graduation Ceremony and Banquet will be released as they become available. Due to COVID-19, we are unable to finalize details at this time. Your understanding is needed, valued and appreciated.
Please direct preliminary questions to Ms. Hornby (email@example.com). Should the traditional elements of graduation proceed, this will be the contact list:
Communications, Banquet, and Dance