Subject areas with a final exam:
- Final exams will be held in all subjects leading to Diploma exams in the formal exam schedule.
- Students should expect to write final exams in subjects not included in the final exam schedule in the week prior to scheduled exams.
- Students should expect to write final exams at any time during the month of January and June.
- Final exams must be written on the scheduled day at the scheduled time.
Alberta Diploma exams are worth 30% of a student’s final grade.
Exam regulations require that students write final exams on the specified date and time. Please make plans based on the final exam schedule posted on the school website. Students missing final exams for personal reasons, such as vacation, may forfeit the opportunity for a final assessment and receive a grade of zero. Please contact the Assistant Principal in charge of exams well in advance of the exam period regarding extenuating circumstances that may prevent a student from taking an exam. ie: surgery
Students who arrive one hour or more after the start of the exam may not be allowed to write the exam at that time. The Assistant Principal in charge of exams will deal with late arrivals.
If a final examination is not written, a parent/guardian must contact the Assistant Principal in charge of exams the morning of the examination explaining the reason for the absence and providing a medical certificate, where appropriate.
Please note: Student ID cards are required for admittance to any final exam.
Rewriting A Diploma Exam
- All Diploma rewrites require online registration with Alberta Education. The fee of $26.25 is required even if you are repeating the course.
- If you require special provisions, such as extra time, you must contact the Learning Strategist and complete the Application for Accommodations for Students with Special Diploma Examination Writing Needs by the deadline set by Alberta Education.
- If you are rewriting ELA, Social Studies, or FLA and wish to use a computer to word-process, you must contact the assistant principal in charge of exams and apply. You may be granted use of a computer if space allows.
A student has the right to appeal a final mark. The appeal process is as follows:
- Arrange a meeting with the teacher after final grades have been posted
- If not resolved, arrange for a meeting with the teacher and Learning Leader
- If still not resolved, make an appointment with the Assistant Principal/Principal