Western Canada High School offers the International Certificate through the Calgary Board of Education. The International Certificate is a way of recognizing and valuing the significant contributions, work, and experiences of an international nature that students have accomplished throughout their three years of high school.
An International Certificate is a way of recognizing and valuing the significant contributions, work, and experiences of an international nature that students have accomplished throughout their CBE journey.
It was designed to respond to CBE’s “Results” and in particular the rubric of Citizenship, which states, “Each student will be a responsible citizen by understanding the rights and responsibilities of citizenship in local, national, and global contexts.”
Module A | International Languages & Cross-Cultural Communication
- 125 hours of minimum of 5 credits of Second Language Study
Module B | Internationally Focused Coursework
- Social Studies
- Internationalized course or equivalency
- Internationalization and personalization of three assignments in regular coursework
Module C | Global Citizenship • International Experience
(total combined time is 3 months)
Endless possibilities: local and global
- Student Exchanges
- Humanitarian project
- International work, study and/or travel
- Local initiatives
Note | All of the above requirements may be completed with equivalencies. The program is designed to be completed over three years of high school.
Customize your experience to fit with your areas of interest – the possibilities are endless!
- plant a community garden for newly arrived Canadians
- volunteer or study overseas
- facilitate a Global Arts Exchange or organize a Fair Trade Fair
- host an international student or become one
- write autobiographies for senior citizens who came from abroad
- be an urban planner and design a city map pinpointing Calgary’s international sports facilities and highlight the international teams heading to our city
- design an International Arts calendar profiling the International Arts Events for the upcoming year
Why pursue the International Certificate?
“This is the perfect opportunity to have my international work and volunteering experiences formally and officially recognized.”
“I want to experience the ‘globe’, not just read about it.”
“I have a passion for international travel, volunteering, study and work.”
“I’d like to meet other students with international interests – networking!”
Learning Commons Learning Leader Nancy Prentice
t | 403-228-5363
or visit http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/high-school/Pages/international-opportunities.aspx
or contact Global Learning: e | international email@example.com t | 403-817-7711