Patrols at West Ridge School
AMA patrols has started at West Ridge and 70 Grade 6 students have stepped up to help make the crosswalks at our school safer. The patrol teams will be out every morning from 8:10 AM until 8:25 AM and in the afternoons from 3:10 PM until 3:25 PM. The patrol teams are in the early stages of perfecting their skills and we thank all drivers and pedestrians in advance for their patience. When you’re idling at our stop signs, we promise to get you through as quickly as possible. When you are crossing as a pedestrian, don’t forget to say hi. We look forward to seeing you and helping you in the mornings and afternoons.
School Zone Safety
We are pleased to see that our school is finally surrounded by a playground zone! Traffic speed all around the school should be reduced to 30 km/h. We are now eligible to apply to have school patrols (students, not administration!) man our crosswalks. An application has been submitted in this regard.
We ask that all parents please help us in ensuring our school zone is safe. Please ensure you have your child cross at the corner and not in the middle of the street. We also ask that parents do not make U-turns on any of the roads around the school. This is not only illegal, but is very unsafe for our students. Thank you so much.
Hug and Go Zone
Please remember that the front of the school, eastbound Wentworth Ave, is a Hug and Go Zone during the peak times at the beginning and end of the day. The other corner of the school, Wentworth Rise, begins with a bus zone and is followed by a Hug and Go Zone. We encourage all West Ridge families to stick to Wentworth Rise whenever possible and avoid using Wentworth Avenue.
Parking Around Schools: Photo Enforcement
Calgary Parking Authority is helping to make school areas safer for our students and school communities. Here’s what you should know.
- The Calgary Parking Authority is now using photo enforcement in addition to Enforcement Officers in school
- areas, so tickets may be received in the mail or placed on vehicles that are in violation of parking regulations.
- You must follow posted signage, even if you remain in your vehicle.
Parking responsibly around schools is very important for the safety of the students attending these schools and members of the community.
TIPS: Avoid Parking Fines
- Stay back at least 1.5 metres from entrances to garages or driveways
- Watch for “No stopping” and “No parking" zones
- Keep school bus zones clear
- Leave five metres between your car and cross walks
- Park at least five metres from stop signs, yield signs or intersections
View poster under Resources.