- Volunteers for any position must complete the CBE Annual Volunteer Registration Form as well as our School Volunteer Form.
- If the position will involve operating a motor vehicle, volunteer applicants must also complete the Application for Automobile Driver Authorization form.
- The volunteer is necessarily discreet. It is essential that volunteers never publicly discuss the children, the teachers or other parents. It is important that the volunteer treat all professional knowledge about children as confidential information.
- The volunteer should respect the professional role and judgment of the teacher.
- Volunteers should become familiar with the school’s policies and procedures and apply them when dealing with a student. (See Handbook Section in Student Agenda)
- The volunteer should refer any discipline problems to the teacher in charge.
- Volunteers are participating in the classroom to assist all children. Sometimes it is tempting for a volunteer to engage in discussion with the teacher about the progress of their own child, however after class would be a more appropriate time to do this.
- If the volunteer has committed to working in the classroom on a regular basis, every effort should be made to be prompt and reliable. If the volunteer has to cancel, it would be appreciated if they inform the teacher ahead of time.
- A volunteer’s time is valuable and they must feel useful. If a volunteer finds themselves in a position of not understanding what is expected of them, they are encouraged to discuss this with the teacher and ask for clarification.
- The volunteer works in the school at the invitation of the teacher and under the guidance of the teacher or other school staff.
Feel free to discuss any concerns or questions that arise with the teacher or the principal.
Please sign-in at the office. It is important that we know who is in the school at all times. We would appreciate you wearing a name-tag as this identifies you to new staff and other parents.
Coats and Purses
There is a coat rack available in the staff room or you can find a spot in the classroom to put your coat. Please let the teacher know if you would like to lock your purse in a file cabinet in the classroom so that it is not left unattended.
Volunteers are always welcome to join the staff in the staff room for coffee at recess. Coffee is on all the time and you are always invited to help yourself.
Smoking is prohibited anywhere on the school grounds and in school buildings.
Please complete a volunteer survey identifying the type of work you would like to do at W.O. Mitchell School and your availability. Our volunteer coordinator will compile that information.