The Calgary Board of Education provides students with the option to stay at school for lunch. Lunch Supervision is offered to all students in Grades 1- 6 and in our full-day kindergarten programs for an annual fee. Please visit our Lunch Supervision page for registration information.
The CBE defines noon supervision service as supervision of Kindergarten to Grade 6 students during the lunch period, which involves an annual fee, as approved by the minister of education. The purpose of lunch supervision is detailed in the CBE Administrative Regulation (AR) 3048 – Noon Services, which states that the noon supervision service must ensure that Grade 5-6 students are actively supervised at lunch in thoughtful ways that are distinct from those at the Gr. 7-9 level. Students in Gr. 5-6 will:
- Eat lunch outdoors or in their homeroom class (weather dependent)
- Lunch supervisors will ensure that desks/tables are sanitized prior to and following eating lunch
- Grade 5-6 students must come to school dressed for the weather and ready for fresh air and exercise for the second 20 minutes of daily lunch hour
- Grade 5-6 students must remain on Woodman property at all times, and do not have permission, under any circumstances, to leave without being accompanied and signed out by a parent or legal guardian at the main office.
Woodman is an open campus in which students in Grade 7-9 are given liberty to leave the school building and grounds. We provide regular reminders to students about:
- Abiding by the municipal laws and the spirit of good citizenship
- Discouraging the unhealthy food and beverage options from the various locales surrounding the school
If Grade 7-9 students decide to remain on campus for the first portion of the lunch hour, they may eat in their homeroom class, or in the various commons hallway spaces throughout the school.
Courtesy and good etiquette at lunch is required from everyone, in order to create an orderly and relaxing lunchtime environment:
- Maintain acceptable volume levels when visiting and eating with friends.
- Use the 4-way waste station, sorting garbage according to the labels provided is important.
- Walk in an orderly fashion in the hallways and stairwells, staying to the right side to reduce congestion.
- Take all running, tag and ball games to the outdoor field.
- Rough-housing, whether indoors or outdoors, is not permitted at school.
- Swearing and course language is prohibited in all school-related activities and while on school property.
- Use personal electronic device during nutrition break and lunchtimes (to communicate with parents, listen to music, play games, read an e-book, etc.), although students are strongly encouraged to also be active, converse with their friends, and get fresh air.
- Respect the limit to bathroom occupancy, posted on the outside wall.
Allergies | Nut-Free
We have children at our school who are allergic to nuts and related nut products, we strive to be a Nut-Free School. For more information about this and other health concerns visit our Illness & Medical page.
Online Lunch Ordering
The Healthy Hunger electronic ordering system is now in place for Tuesday and Thursdays (either beverages or lunch). This system allows parents to order and pay for food online which is delivered to the school and served by lunch supervisors and Leadership students.
Healthy Hunger provides convenient ordering and electronic payment for parents. If you would like to participate, please register your student(s) on the Healthy Hunger website. And follow the instructions for ordering. Please note that you must re-register students each school year to ensure that information is accurate.
You can sign up and pay for lunches for the entire year all at once or you can do so on a weekly/monthly basis. Remember to cancel orders before the deadline if you know your student will be absent on the delivery day, as the school cannot store unclaimed lunches.
Healthy Hunger lunches are one of the main fundraisers for Woodman School. Money raised is used to enhance the student experience at school.